Is this possible? - Macros - Position - Chain

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
McRocklin

Is this possible? - Macros - Position - Chain

Post by McRocklin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Hey all,
I wanted to ask if it is possible for Macros positions to be remembered in a Signal Chain?
So when I flip to different Chain within the effects rack, the status of the Macro switches back into position.
Almost like a scene?

Here is an example, including my issue:

For my guitar setup, I want to have separate 3 audio inputs going to an effects rack.

With 2 inputs, I use a Utility and pan it hard left or right to choose between input 1 and 2 which works fine, then I insert another instance of Utility to bring it back to mono, before the signal goes into my amp sims, and effects etc.

This works very well, but now that I'm trying to bring a 3rd input into the chain, it is is proving to be difficult.

I tried Audio Matrix > Audio Receiver ML4 extension, which works great for getting that 3rd input into the rack, however it is not respecting the 'Chain' switting, so that input/chain remains on, even when I switch to a different Chain.

With just 2 inputs when I switch chains, the input to the other chains is turned off.

When using Audio Matrix, Audio Receiver the input always remains on, which I have two Chains sounding at the same time.

To get around this, I was trying to use an additional instance of Utility with the volume turned all the way down, so I could use it as an On/Off signal switch for that specific chain.

Is there a way to remember Macro positions, per Chain?
So when have I switch to the other Chains, I turn can have that instance of Utility engage and kill that 3rd input.

Assigning them to a knob doesn't help as much, as I using the Chain selector and control it via a Blackstar Live Logic USB Floor controller.

Thank you very much for the help.

I feel like offering a bounty for the person that comes up with the solution lol.
Not sure how Ableton feel about that :p

Appreciate the help.

Thomas McRocklin

Greenapples2019

Re: Is this possible? - Macros - Position - Chain

Post by Greenapples2019 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pm

I've not specifically tried it myself, but I think ClyphX Pro's SNAP command could help you. You'd set the macros up for the first chain and take a snapshot of that, then do the same for chains 2 and 3. You'd then assign one of your controller's buttons to each snapshot and be able to recall those positions whenever you wanted.

FWIW I have a SNAP command that automatically captures all the settings for each channel and device at the end of a gig, and can then recall all those settings next time we play there. The SNAP command is also useful if you experiment with your settings; take a SNAP before you start tweaking and you can always go back to where you were at the end of the experiment.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
D

McRocklin

Re: Is this possible? - Macros - Position - Chain

Post by McRocklin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:50 am

Awesome, will check that out thank you!
I have found a solution using the min/max values on the macros, which once figured out has worked.
Having scenes sounds better again though, cheers!