Learning Midi Remote Scripts

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
lophMsudic

Learning Midi Remote Scripts

Post by lophMsudic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 pm

Hello forum! :)

I've spent some time tying to learn how to write Midi Remote Scripts using Python with Ableton 10. For that matter, I've learned most of the things by "Try & Error", this awesome tutorial about _Framework (remotescripts.blogsport.com)
and this API Documentation (www.structure-void.com).

Though, I'm slowly getting a grip on coding _Framework, there're still a couple of things, I keep wondering about:
1. Browsing the Ableton scrtipt directory, I've noticed scripts called "_Tools" (seems to be legacy-code from Ableton 6), "_UserScript" and most of all "_Generic". Does anybody have information about these classes, or a least point me into the direction to find those informations myself?

2. Like I said before: I did most of my own 'training' using _Framework, but the current scripts don't use those classes anymore, instead they use some classes to be found in ./ableton/v2/*. So, in order to adjust the functionality of my current Masterkeyboard with my own code, I feel like I have to understand those classes better. Again: Any help to find more information on those classes is much appreciated.

Unfortunately it's somehow very hard to find any information about scripting ableton > version 9, so I'm really running out of ideas where to look...

The Rabbits

Re: Learning Midi Remote Scripts

Post by The Rabbits » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am

Have a look here for decompiled versions of all the standard scripts.

github/gluon/AbletonLive11_MIDIRemoteScripts

I found a few useful bits here, but there is no useful documentation. The main thing I got from digging through the code was the limitations of the model.

I've been doing the same over the last month or so. Taking the opportunity to learn Python as well as making controlling live with my Launchkey more efficient.

Those limitations are frustrating!!

bxn

Re: Learning Midi Remote Scripts

Post by bxn » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:25 pm

Hello,

From what I understand ableton/v2 and _Framework do mostly the same thing there is a lot of duplicated code there.
I went for the _Framework classes but I guess it doesn't really matter. There were a few (rare) tutorials on it so .. Also Clyphx Pro uses the _Framework classes.
Anyway as there is no documentation whatsoever from ableton (as rabbits told we can still check out decompiled scripts thank god) and I guess a good part of the code was created to handle push2 cases so I would say just make your own classes, you won't really need 90% of the _Framework code ! I'm writing a quite heavy remote script and mostly just used their event system which is great (subject_slot etc ..) and extended a few controller classes like ControlSurface, ControlSurfaceComponent or ButtonElement (that's necessary anyway). Other stuff seemed more complicated to learn than just to write code.

I'm relying on the https://structure-void.com/PythonLiveAP ... ve11.0.xml and https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/refpage ... model.html as a doc. Also looking every now and then at clyphx code is really helpful. The only thing that bored me to death with python2 was async calls in some more complex cases but if you're starting out and need this use asyncio ! I'm gonna switch to that I think soon. But maybe you are not going to need this if you don't do async sutff (like creating tracks, clips, notes etc ..).

Cheers

ps : Since ableton 11 I noticed reloading the set doesn't refresh the script it looks like it's cached somewhere and I cannot find the fix. I don't want to consider the option of hard restarting Live .. Anyone having this issue ?