Eq cut in real time on 2 channels?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Verdion

Eq cut in real time on 2 channels?

Post by Verdion » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm

I apologize in advance, as the topic is probably old. But I did not find answers to the questions, or the links I found are out of date.

How to cut low frequencies during a DJ set on 2 channels simultaneously? In real time. How to work simultaneously on a controller with 2 or more channels without having to switch between them?

I would be grateful for any help.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Eq cut in real time on 2 channels?

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Many options, but here's the 2 most straight forward one I think (I suppose you're talking about using a software EQ):
- group your 2 tracks and put your EQ on the group track
- or put an EQ on both tracks and midi map them to same knobs on your controller
Ableton Forum Moderator

Verdion

Post by Verdion » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 pm
Many options, but here's the 2 most straight forward one I think (I suppose you're talking about using a software EQ):
- group your 2 tracks and put your EQ on the group track
- or put an EQ on both tracks and midi map them to same knobs on your controller
I mean cut Low freq on 1 channel and add Low on 2nd at the same time when you perform DJ set

Last edited by Verdion on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 pm

What's your setup?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Verdion

Post by Verdion » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:12 am

[jur] wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 pm
What's your setup?
Now Novation launch control. But I had Push with this problem. What I made? I cut lows on DECK A.(1ch.), fast switch on DECK B (2ch.). with knob on kontroller and add lows. Or technique with 1 tact without low freq and then add on 2ch. Or with sends.

But I want to do this instantly with eq's in inserts, without switch between channels. With midi mapping its the same as i write before.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 pm

You could midi map the two EQs to the same know on your controller, and then map them in Ableton so that:
EQ1 has minimum of -infinity and max of zero
EQ2 has minimum of zero and max of -infinity

Then when the knob is all the way to the left EQ1 has no bass and EQ2 has full bass; and when knob is to the right EQ1 has full bass and EQ2 has no bass.

Would that solve your problem?

Cheers
D

Verdion

Post by Verdion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 pm
You could midi map the two EQs to the same know on your controller, and then map them in Ableton so that:
EQ1 has minimum of -infinity and max of zero
EQ2 has minimum of zero and max of -infinity

Then when the knob is all the way to the left EQ1 has no bass and EQ2 has full bass; and when knob is to the right EQ1 has full bass and EQ2 has no bass.

Would that solve your problem?

Cheers
D
Interesting solution, but it doesn't able for me. I want it to look exactly like in classic DJing. Why didn't Ableton foresee this? It’s strange.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:56 pm

If you have M4L, then grab the Map8 device, that will allow you to map several parameters (from different tracks) to the same knob.
If you don't have M4L, then you can trick a solution, but I'm too lazy to explain right now before knowing if you have M4L.
Ableton Forum Moderator

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am

Verdion wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Interesting solution, but it doesn't able for me. I want it to look exactly like in classic DJing. Why didn't Ableton foresee this? It’s strange.
Live is a DAW for producing with an almost unique Live view of the world, it was not originally designed for DJing, that's just a happy coincedence that you can also use it in that way.

MAxforLive has provided many solutions for people to bend Live to their will, you'll have seen the Map8 device mentioned which is a tremendous device.

There are also control surface scripts that extend the use such as ClyphX Pro. This video should show how you can use the 8 encoders to control a single parameter across 8 separate tracks.... https://youtu.be/nakRNiLelzU

Cheers
D

Verdion

Post by Verdion » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:59 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:56 pm
If you have M4L, then grab the Map8 device, that will allow you to map several parameters (from different tracks) to the same knob.
If you don't have M4L, then you can trick a solution, but I'm too lazy to explain right now before knowing if you have M4L.
Oh, thanks. Yes, I have m4l
S4racen wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am
Verdion wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Live is a DAW for producing with an almost unique Live view of the world, it was not originally designed for DJing, that's just a happy coincedence that you can also use it in that way.

MAxforLive has provided many solutions for people to bend Live to their will, you'll have seen the Map8 device mentioned which is a tremendous device.

There are also control surface scripts that extend the use such as ClyphX Pro. This video should show how you can use the 8 encoders to control a single parameter across 8 separate tracks.... https://youtu.be/nakRNiLelzU

Cheers
D
Wow, thank you so much! I check it soon and leave my feedback.

Thank you guys again!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:09 pm

it's the MultiMap device you want, not Map8 – they're in the same pack though ;)

Verdion

Post by Verdion » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 pm

Sorry guys for late answer. Map8 doesn't work with my Launch control. Any reaction :(
Maybe have some other ways?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:17 pm

What do you mean exactly by "doesn't work"?
Ableton Forum Moderator