MIDI mapping Scene Select in Live 11

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bruceRichmond

MIDI mapping Scene Select in Live 11

Post by bruceRichmond » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 pm

In Session view I am trying to use a CC to change scenes from an external midi controller or software. For example, I have mapped CC 121 Channel 16 to the Scene Select control. I have tried a few different CC's. When I send CC 121 with a value of 1 this selects scene 1. However when I send CC 121 with a value of 2 the scene does not change. If I send a value of 11 or 20 then it changes to scene 2. A value of 30 selects scene 3. A value of 70 selects scene 6. Obviously something is not right here. Has anyone else tried to do this? Is there a better way to do this? I use Cantabile for my live keyboard rig. I am hoping I can change scenes (backing tracks) in Ableton as I change Songs in Cantabile and then start the song in Ableton with a footswitch. All of this should be possible and is mostly working except for what I described above.

Thank you

Christian61

Re: MIDI mapping Scene Select in Live 11

Post by Christian61 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:41 pm

Hallo,
This maybe an alternative, you can trigger track/session/view/global actions with standard midi commands (from your midi controller) or with keyboard shortcuts…
(works for me in Ableton 11)

http://stc.wiffbi.com/

Or the forum posts here
viewtopic.php?p=1257042#p1257042[u][/u]
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

pnomolos

Post by pnomolos » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm

For anyone coming to this thread, the issue is that Ableton maps the full CC range (0-127) across the number of available scenes - so If you only have 8 scenes then you need to increment the CC value by 16 to get to the next scene. So ... a very simple (but :roll: wtf) solution is to make sure your set has 128 scenes in it.

I'm searching to see if there's a better way to do this, but that's all I've got for now.

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:28 pm

I simply assign keyboard characters to the start button for each scene so sending a '1' starts scene 1, '2' starts scene 2 and so forth. All of my scenes include an "end" track which sends a specific MIDI note to Ableton via the loopMIDI app to automatically stop playing the track when it ends.

robby.anderson

Post by robby.anderson » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 pm

pnomolos wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm
For anyone coming to this thread, the issue is that Ableton maps the full CC range (0-127) across the number of available scenes - so If you only have 8 scenes then you need to increment the CC value by 16 to get to the next scene. So ... a very simple (but :roll: wtf) solution is to make sure your set has 128 scenes in it.

I'm searching to see if there's a better way to do this, but that's all I've got for now.
This was helpful thank you.

I was a little worried about being constrained to 128 scenes (don't ask). So I tested made 256 scenes and tested that ... and Ableton still splits across them evenly. So, each CC increment goes to every other track (1, 3, 5, 7, etc).