Weird impact of midi monitor on rack layer selection

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rnb0

Weird impact of midi monitor on rack layer selection

Post by rnb0 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm

(Live 11, Windows 10, 16G of ram, SSD, i7, ...KMI Boppad) I'm trying to use a boppad's capability to send radius messages (as CC2) to select between samples in an instrument rack (within a drum rack.) I map CC2 to the selector. Two samples are evenly distributed in the rack pad. So it should work that when I hit near the edge of the boppad, CC2's value sends the selector into the range of one sample and when I hit near the center of the boppad (actually the middle of one of it's quadrants) it sends the selector into the range of the other sample. This (per KMI) is supposed to be how you get multiple samples to play in a quadrant... by using radius.

The first problem is that it always takes one hit before the sample changes. The selector moves but I hear the previously triggered sample. On the second hit, I hear the correct sample. Same when I move back to the area that should trigger the other sample. It takes one hit to get there.

The second problem (which is, for some reason, maybe a solution!) is that when I run midi monitor out in front of this whole rack, the first problem goes away!

I can run midi monitor in front of my boppad drum racks but I'd rather not. Ideas?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Weird impact of midi monitor on rack layer selection

Post by [jur] » Sat May 08, 2021 6:47 pm

rnb0 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm
(Live 11, Windows 10, 16G of ram, SSD, i7, ...KMI Boppad) I'm trying to use a boppad's capability to send radius messages (as CC2) to select between samples in an instrument rack (within a drum rack.) I map CC2 to the selector. Two samples are evenly distributed in the rack pad. So it should work that when I hit near the edge of the boppad, CC2's value sends the selector into the range of one sample and when I hit near the center of the boppad (actually the middle of one of it's quadrants) it sends the selector into the range of the other sample. This (per KMI) is supposed to be how you get multiple samples to play in a quadrant... by using radius.

The first problem is that it always takes one hit before the sample changes. The selector moves but I hear the previously triggered sample. On the second hit, I hear the correct sample. Same when I move back to the area that should trigger the other sample. It takes one hit to get there.

The second problem (which is, for some reason, maybe a solution!) is that when I run midi monitor out in front of this whole rack, the first problem goes away!

I can run midi monitor in front of my boppad drum racks but I'd rather not. Ideas?
It makes sense actually, as the messages to act sequentially in a correct order for this to work:
1) first, it needs to select the right Zone (moving the selector)
2) then, the same CC needs to reach the instrument and trigger the sound
I.E the CC needs to arrive to the instrument AFTER the correct Zone was selected

So anything that can delay the midi AFTER the Zone has been selected is what you need. So in this case, the tiny latency introduced by Midi Monitor is your best friend.
Ableton Forum Moderator

rnb0

Post by rnb0 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 am

Thanks but I don't think so. I don't have a similar problem when I use velocity (rather than cc2) to drive the sample selection.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:24 am

Mmh, that's surprising... What am I missing here??
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 am

Did you solve this in the end?
Ableton Forum Moderator