Custom scale for Operator.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
einaralex

Custom scale for Operator.

Post by einaralex » Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 pm

Is there a way for me to create a custom frequency sequence / scale for one instance of Operator?

I've been messing around with the Colundi sequence, so currently I have a drum rack with a new instance of Operator for each frequency, but I'd like to be able to mess around with the settings without having to map every single knob of all the Operators. There must be an easier way.

Thank you in advance!

yur2die4

Re: Custom scale for Operator.

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm

If it’s a scale that repeats harmonic relationships per octave, you can use the Scale tool in an instrument rack to reduce the number of required instances of Operator. If it’s only 7 tones per octave you only need a few. But if it’s 11, you’d need more. Anything beyond that would require more than this simple workaround.

But with the Scale midi effect you can allow only one note of the octave to pass through, and have it ignore all other notes. If you have an instance for each note of the scale within the octave, running parallel, each with their own instance of Operator, you can at least reduce the amount of work from dealing with +12 instances down to only requiring up to 11 instances.

einaralex

Post by einaralex » Sat May 22, 2021 1:00 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm
If it’s a scale that repeats harmonic relationships per octave, you can use the Scale tool in an instrument rack to reduce the number of required instances of Operator. If it’s only 7 tones per octave you only need a few. But if it’s 11, you’d need more. Anything beyond that would require more than this simple workaround.

But with the Scale midi effect you can allow only one note of the octave to pass through, and have it ignore all other notes. If you have an instance for each note of the scale within the octave, running parallel, each with their own instance of Operator, you can at least reduce the amount of work from dealing with +12 instances down to only requiring up to 11 instances.
That are some great tip! Unfortunately Colundi doesn't follow a typical octave structure, so it's maybe confusing to call it a scale. It's more like a sequence.

Thanks for your response!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 am

You just made me Google for Colundi, and although I'm more than sceptical about these sort of new-age stuff, I happen to like Ovuca very much and just realised Aleksi Perälä was, well, Ovuca.
Anyway, I didn't find anything really clear about the scale/scales. Any resources ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat May 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Wouldn't it be simpler to use Wavetable and make use of MPE instead? That would probably require a M4L scaling tool, though.
Btw, I didn't search for Colundi, so I'm maybe assuming something wrong in your request.
Ableton Forum Moderator