Using Elgato Stream Deck to trigger Scenes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
whoiswillsims

Using Elgato Stream Deck to trigger Scenes

Post by whoiswillsims » Fri May 14, 2021 1:50 am

Looking for help with this. I have watched a lot of video's and tinkered with the set up for hours to no avail. I'm probably missing something small and dumb. Any help would be appreciated.

Trying to use the Elgato Stream Deck XL to trigger scenes in Session View of Ableton. I would have a button dedicated to each scene. Thank you.

Greenapples2019

Re: Using Elgato Stream Deck to trigger Scenes

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi, you can assign a MIDI channel/note to each button on the Stream Deck that you want to be a scene. Then go into midi map mode in Ableton, click on the scene name and then press the button on the Stream Deck. That should link the button to the scene. Come out of midi map mode and then whenever you press the button on the SD it should trigger that scene in Ableton. You can also make it a multiple action.

You can do loads more with an SD in Ableton too e.g. set up a hotkey switch to open/close Preferences, or show/hide Devices, browser etc.

I hope that helps, good luck with it!

Cheers

D

whoiswillsims

Post by whoiswillsims » Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 pm

Thank you so much! Very helpful!!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 15, 2021 11:31 pm

Yeah I use an SD XL for everything on my PC and have templates for all the software I use like Vegas, Photoshop, Live etc. One of the best workflow improvements I purchased and replaced the arbitrary keys I have set on my midi controllers and keyboard hot keys for the same stuff. The little icons make it actually usable!

For Live I have all the shortcuts like Split Track, Consolidate, Undo/Redo, Show plugins etc setup with a couple of pages, even a "Save AS" button. I don't use MIDI triggering, you need the 3rd party MIDI action device for that and I have never needed it for anything but can't see why it wouldn't work like any other device.