How to troubleshoot your R16/R24 interface for Ableton 11.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
AugsEU

How to troubleshoot your R16/R24 interface for Ableton 11.

Post by AugsEU » Sat May 22, 2021 10:35 pm

I have recently gone through a driver nightmare with my R16 audio interface, but I think I have finally got it working. But, while setting this up, I saw little info about errors that I got. So I thought I would post them here to document/help anyone out there who runs into these.

Before setting up or if you have tried to set it up but failed:
  • DO NOT PLUG YOUR R16 IN BEFORE INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!! Windows likes to install it's own driver that can mess things up.
  • Uninstall all ASIO drivers.
  • Hit the windows key -> Run -> regedit -> delete ASIO reg keys folder and sub keys
  • Run the R16 driver uninstaller if the driver is already installed. It may take a while but leave it, it will eventually get it done.
  • Download and install the latest firmware for your R16/R24. You will need an SD card for this. See the Zoom website for instructions.
Once you have done those steps do the following:

1) Make sure that your R16 is not plugged in.
2) Run the latest driver setup.
3) Plug your R16 in by the USB and press OK a bunch of times.
4) Go to "Device Manager" and check if the R16 shows up in the Audio section. If there is a warning sign, it probably won't work. Click "Properties" to see the error.
5) If the device manager sees it then it should be good to go with Ableton.

Troubleshooting:

Device manager error:"Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API."

I found that the issue here was that the audio interface was plugged into a USB 3.0, but only 2.0 seems to be supported. The driver's patch notes say otherwise, but I think they are lying or my cable is dodgy. So try plugging into a different USB.

Blue screen: irql_not_less_or_equal

This error seems to come up when using more than 512 samples in the buffer. I would suggest leaving it at the default of 512. I have told Ableton about this bug, so hopefully, it will get fixed.

I hope this is helpful to anyone trying to use the R16 as an audio interface.