Best way to get post-fader sends for tracks & instrument rack

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
his_ripness

Best way to get post-fader sends for tracks & instrument rack

Post by his_ripness » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:13 am

Hi all, still learning Ableton and I have a routing dilemma.

My projects are set up simply:

Track 1 contains an Instrument rack that contains the instruments that I'm playing live (bass, keys, etc)
Tracks 2+ contain my backing track sequences (ie. drums and guitar)

What I need to do is route everything, including different instruments in the rack, to different outputs, ie:

Drums: 3/4
Bass: 5
E-Gtr: 7/8
Keys: 9/10

I can use the Ext Effect Send to accomplish this, but that effect is only pre-fader, so I lose control of the output levels, which doesn't work (I need to be able to control the volumes of different tracks in real time).

IMO this is a deficiency in the External Send plugin. Professional mixers have a Pre/Post fader button that solves this problem. Is there a workaround? TIA.

his_ripness

Re: Best way to get post-fader sends for tracks & instrument rack

Post by his_ripness » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:27 am

LOL after literally days struggling to figure out a way to use the External Effect send to do this (seemed the only way to create sends in an Instrument Rack) I learned the correct (if confusing) solution from here:https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... nstrument/

Found it just minutes after asking my question.

I'm leaving the answer here in order to help others with the same question.

The way I solved the problem is:

1. Create a new audio track for every external send you want to route out of Ableton (in my case, all new tracks for DRUM OUT / BASS OUT / etc)
2. From the track's input list, select the track that contains the source you want to route
3. In the case of an instrument rack, after picking the track containing the Instrument Rack, you'll be presented with another drop down from which you can select any of the instruments in the Rack, pre-effects / post-effects but pre-fader / and post fader are all available