Turn Device on/off with diffrent MIDI notes?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Niclas

Turn Device on/off with diffrent MIDI notes?

Post by Niclas » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:15 am

Hi, Need some help do someone know a workaround for this?
I want to turn a Effect Rack on and off with two diffrent MIDI notes, for example: C1 turn it on and C2 off,

Help and Thanks!

jestermgee

Re: Turn Device on/off with diffrent MIDI notes?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:35 pm

Cannot do it natively, possibly using Max4Live or using some kind of external MIDI routing software like Bome Midi Translator (what I use for all these types of things as it also has built in scripting, but a bit of a learning curve and costs coin) but only 1 command can be mapped via MIDI.

Also, keyboard notes are "momentary" so in live when you press the key it will switch it off, when you release the key it will switch on again. You need a toggle/latch button to switch on/off.

mistrust

Post by mistrust » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Try loopMIDI as well. It's free, and does the trick. I got my Launchcontrol XL buttons to switch the time division buttons on Simple Delay using midi notes and loopMIDI. I keep meaning to do a YT video of how I did it, but let me know if you want me to post some instructions. If you don't have midi controller with momentary buttons you could use a cheap usb footswitch!

loopMIDI link: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 pm

I haven’t tried this but you might be able to do it using key range mapping.

In midi mapping, hold one note, and while holding it press a second note. Then release both at once.

Not sure if it works on the on off buttons. It works with dials and faders though.