Permanent custom key shortcuts?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
enerate josh

Permanent custom key shortcuts?

Post by enerate josh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to permanently map the metronome button to the key "C" for click. So it matches the other audio apps I work in. Is there a way to permanently assign this key short cut?

I could obviously go into key-map mode each new session I start and do it that way. just looking for a more elegant approach for buttons I map for every session day in day out.

I'm on a mac and have tried the OSX system prefs > keyboard > app shortcuts approach, but this only works with commands listed in the top menu items which metronome is not.

Thanks a million for your help! :)

Tarekith

Re: Permanent custom key shortcuts?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Make all your mappings in an empty set, and then save that as your default template for Live to use each time you start a new project.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm

enerate josh wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 am
metronome button to the key "C" for click.
Beware that "C" is the default shortcut to un/arm the selected track(s).
Ableton Forum Moderator

enerate josh

Post by enerate josh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:04 pm
Make all your mappings in an empty set, and then save that as your default template for Live to use each time you start a new project.
Oh! So simple and clean! I don't know why I didn't think of this!! Thanks! Life saver!!!

enerate josh

Post by enerate josh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:41 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm
enerate josh wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 am
metronome button to the key "C" for click.
Beware that "C" is the default shortcut to un/arm the selected track(s).
Thanks, that's a really good point! However most of the time I use the "-EnableArmOnSelection" function in options.txt

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:49 pm

"C" will still be set for this function, Can't change that so just something you will have to work around as Live does not have the ability to change default shortcuts, only add new ones (for a specific set) that are not in use already.

enerate josh

Post by enerate josh » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:39 am

Seems to be working for me! thanks all! Perhaps the "-EnableArmOnSelection" disables the default shortcut of C to arm/disarm.

Also, for those interested, in addition to saving my key mappings to "default new set", I've used this free app called Karabiner https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/ (on MacOS) to reprogram my mouse-wheel click to use the grab tool to pan the set.

ie. middle scroll wheel click = left_option+left_command+mouse_button1.

I love this, as i've always found the option+command+click a little cumbersome. And you can have your other hand at the keys ready for a new part 8)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:00 pm

Just in case your "C" mapping generates some conflicts, you can change it to e.g shift+C, or alt+C, i.e most modifiers work with key mapping.
Ableton Forum Moderator

filtersweep

Post by filtersweep » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:54 pm

In my never-ending quest to make shortcuts in Ableton I've recently started using a little app called MacroRecorder ( A freebie).
Once I have set up the keys in Ableton I can save the action and replay ( it takes a fraction of a second). The beauty of this is once you've made the action you can run it on existing projects. It's saving me a lot of time. There are other macro recorders that will do the same I am sure. The reason I use this particular program is that it doesn't involve scripting etc...

edit: I should point out this is a Windows app. I don't know what the equivalent is in Mac although there are undoubtedly a few...