Spliting long sample into more than 128 parts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Samovallan

Spliting long sample into more than 128 parts

Post by Samovallan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:55 am

... whether I use the 'slice to new midi track/drum rack' from the audio clip or using Simpler, I am limited to 128 parts/slices due to each needed a midi note.

I don't actually need them assigned to midi notes as I'm not going to play them in the generated clip, but rather use them later, individually. (basically they are long samples that I am cutting up for one shots percussion etc) e.g. I want to record something 2 minutes long and then slice into as many transients as there are in.

Is there a way to do this that I have missed.

Cheers in advance

schlam

Re: Spliting long sample into more than 128 parts

Post by schlam » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:24 pm

I don't think it's doable easily..
..+1
I'd love to see that possible !

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 am

Split the recording before using the Slice feature. You'll get more than one Drum Rack, but you can then group these drum racks.
This is mostly demonstrating that you can't really avoid doing some stuffs manually. Automated processes are helpers but can only be limited. You always need to get your hands dirty at some point, and imo that's good news!
You could also build "127 kits", have a look at the Core Library "Selector Kit" to see how it's done.
And you have a few more options, but they require some work.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Samovallan

Post by Samovallan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks... Yes was fairly convinced that the answer would involve splitting it up 1st - always good to check 1st though.

Thanks for the pointer to the example kit