Transferring settings from one Mac to another

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Gaule

Transferring settings from one Mac to another

Post by Gaule » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi,
I've an iMac and also a macBook.
On both machines there is Live 11 Suite installed.
I work usally on the iMac with Live. So there are some settings, eg favorites in the browser, Live settings, track settings, plugin presets, ....
How can I transfer these settings on my macBook?
Thanks.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Transferring settings from one Mac to another

Post by [jur] » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:01 pm

With an external drive.
Dealing with mutliple machines isn't a very funny nor easy process. In a perfect world we could synchronize our library with a single button but atm we've to do this manually. Some do this by putting their Library on e.g Dropbox, but using realtime music software with content that have to be streamed over the web doesn't sound very practical imo...
But it's pretty easy to copy your User Library and Prefrences files to your laptop and it works of course.
Ableton Forum Moderator

teerio

Re: Transferring settings from one Mac to another

Post by teerio » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:16 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:01 pm
With an external drive.
Dealing with mutliple machines isn't a very funny nor easy process. In a perfect world we could synchronize our library with a single button but atm we've to do this manually. Some do this by putting their Library on e.g Dropbox, but using realtime music software with content that have to be streamed over the web doesn't sound very practical imo...
But it's pretty easy to copy your User Library and Prefrences files to your laptop and it works of course.
Using the Dropbox storing your content works just fine. I've used it for years already. But it does not store the settings though. So whenever you migrate to a new computer the settings won't transfer.

So does anybody have any solution for the original question the thread starter had?

Cheers.