Help! Dividing drum racks and keyboard

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kit_jos

Help! Dividing drum racks and keyboard

Post by kit_jos » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Hello there and thank you for your time!
Could you please help me? I want to be able to use a drum rack in my set and triggering the different drum samples on the eight midi pads i have but when i press the midi pads, I have an instrument also in my set that will play on the midi pads as well as me triggering the drum rack samples. I have akai mpk 49 and as I understand I need to divide it in akai software, but i couldn't find one. Maybe someone has a solution?
Thank you in advance!

jestermgee

Re: Help! Dividing drum racks and keyboard

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 pm

You would have to first read the manual for your keyboard to find out what the process is to set midi channels for the pads and keybed (prob donw via software, possibly doable with a keyboard menu setting maybe). You would have to then set one midi channel for the pads (lets say standard GM CH 10 for percussion) then your keys would be on channel 1

Then in Live all you do is set the MIDI In for the drum track to CH10 and any instrument you want to play to CH1 then arm both channels.

You can also look into making templates for your keyboard (if possible, pretty sure it is) where you could simply have the keybed change MIDI channel and then you can just change template to have it control a different track easily, just set different tracks to different channels. Good for live performing.