Trick to Authorize? [SOLVED]

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nocats

Trick to Authorize? [SOLVED]

Post by nocats » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:27 am

I have no problem having my Mojave mac authorized with Live 11 Intro. I wonder if I'm missing the trick to get my older mac that can't run anything after El Capitan 10.11.6 authorized with Live 10 Intro. I've tried all of the suggestions except for using Firefox since I can't install FF on 10.11.6 any longer. My account does list this old mac under "authorization history" under Licences on my account on the ableton site, but it won't authorize.
Last edited by nocats on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Trick to Authorize?

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:51 am

Did you try the offline authorisation process?
Ableton Forum Moderator

nocats

Post by nocats » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Yes, I did. I dropped the .auz file and it returns, "License does not match your Live intro Intro installation"

nocats

Post by nocats » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Decided to try Chrome also, the app is 482MB, which is insane. It didn't work, same message.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm

You should contact support@ableton.com then.
Ableton Forum Moderator

nocats

Post by nocats » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 am

Already sent. In the meantime I started reading the 800+ page manual. Also considering dismantling my sudio macbook to use at my desk instead of the older one so I can use it to learn and jam with purchased loops and be able to save the live sets, but this would be not only a few connections, but a different driver used for a different audio interface and different external monitor, etc. Then of course, when I want to work in the studio, I have to re-do all of that and it would be a lot of double checking before I could live stream a performance. Maybe I just convinced myself not to do that and just wait for a solution.... Thanks for the reply.

nocats

Post by nocats » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Maybe what's going on is that I have a Live 11 license that I'm attempting to use on Live 10.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:49 pm

Usually buying a current license gets you access to older versions too, but support can confirm that’s not the issue in your case once they reach out. Hopefully not too long of a wait.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:49 pm
Usually buying a current license gets you access to older versions too
Unless I mistaking, this is only true for older versions that you did also purchase back then.
Ableton Forum Moderator

nocats

Re: Trick to Authorize? [SOLVED]

Post by nocats » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:46 pm

I moved my authorized Live 11 out of studio onto desk and got a cable to go hdmi to dvi since this mac is 11-inch screen and even with magnifying readers, it's not possible to see. It worked, but still, the situation wasn't ideal for other reasons.

Then last night I noticed an email from support asking how the incident # went and I thought maybe that was some automated response that gets sent out after a couple of weeks. Today I tried the old mac and it authorized. [SOLVED] So they did tweak it on their end. Even though it's a very old macbook, 2009, the old white one with the removable battery, easily accessible ram and hdd slot, it works. Those are actually the reason why it works, it was sluggish as heck when the original owner gave it away, it was useless for her. I upgraded the ram and went hdd to ssd and brought it up to the farthest OS number as it would go. 10.11.6, El Capitan, but what helps me immensely is the screen size. 1280x800, 13.3" and the difference is greater than it would seem.

I really need to sit in chair and have my other two machines in back of the '09 macbook running Live to dig in and learn and have videos going as well as the manual on other screen and the platform in front of me. And that's how it's set up now thanks to the support folks. :D