Simpler for sample loops instead of clips in Arrangement

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
baseinstinct

Simpler for sample loops instead of clips in Arrangement

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:02 pm

There is a function to convert a clip into simpler, among other things. I am looking for a way to avoid long sample re-bounces when grabbing loops from Arrangement back to Session, so it looks like a good option - it will be picking up midi rather than freezing stuff.

Has anyone tested this with larger number of samples per project? Any traps, or better ways to do that?

The song tempo won't be automated, but even if it did, I suppose Simpler can handle?

maximejerryfraisse

Re: Simpler for sample loops instead of clips in Arrangement

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:08 pm

Hi @baseinstinct,

Are you talking about the "slice to new MIDI track" function ?

"rather than freezing stuff" --> why don't you just use your initial (resized) clips ?

If you are only looking for an audio slicing "automation" but would prefer to keep your clips in audio tracks, I think you could achieve this kind of function with scripts or shortcuts combination.
For example, in Arrangement view, if you choose and fixe the time grid, repeating [cmd+e] / [right arrow] / [cmd+e] / [right arrow] will do the job.

However, I really love to use simpler as a looper. Especially because I love to play with tempo variations.

Samples per project limitation should be only a question of CPU / RAM capacity.

Hope that's helpful,

Maxime
maximejerryfraisse / what I do = [INSTAGRAM]

baseinstinct

Re: Simpler for sample loops instead of clips in Arrangement

Post by baseinstinct » Sat May 07, 2022 12:49 am

Slice to new midi is a great alternative, thanks.

Long samples, I am still in 2000s, because of a 260 gb ssd, 50gb mega cloud and not a newest laptop.