Insert notes from MIDI controller at step?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
stay_janley

Insert notes from MIDI controller at step?

Post by stay_janley » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:13 pm

I'm trying to edit some midi clips. Most of the time it is quicker for me to just play the chord I want on my keyboard than it is for me to draw the notes in. However, I don't want to replay the whole clip on the keyboard and record it in (I'm not that good of a keyboardist). Is there a way I can insert notes from my midi controller at a specific step of a midi clip? For instance, by selecting the step I want, pressing some keyboard shortcut, and then playing the chord?

An analogous workflow is found on electron devices: you hold the trig (step) down you want to edit, and then play the chord you want to program into the sequencer.

yur2die4

Re: Insert notes from MIDI controller at step?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:03 am

You can look up Step Recording in Ableton Live. The basic idea is, you turn on mini monitoring (little headphone logo in midi step editor). Then wherever you put the circle, you will ‘add midi’ on that spot. You press and hold the Chord, and while pressing, you tap the arrow key and it’ll add those notes to the timeline for however many steps you press your arrow key for.

What’s nice is, if you have unused buttons on your midi controller, you can midi map the headphone monitor icon, and also the arrows.