Files & Folders -- Location Move Questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
otalgia99

Files & Folders -- Location Move Questions

Post by otalgia99 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:30 am

Greetings everyone

I am writing to ask for any general tips and wisdoms accumulated by the Group Mind regarding moving Live folders & files.

SYSTEM DETAILS

Macbook Pro -- (mid-2015)
PROCESSOR -- 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
RAM -- 16 Gb
STORAGE -- 1 Tb SSD, now at 50% remaining capacity

SCENARIO

I will be installing Live 11 Suite soon, and I see that the 1 Tb SSD in the laptop is now at 50% remaining capacity.

I anticipate a continuing increase in storage usage going forward, so I thought this could be a good time to consider moving any files that I can to the external drive detailed below.

EXTERNAL DRIVE DETAILS

STORAGE -- 4 Tb
DRIVE TYPE -- HDD
CONNECTION -- USB 3

MY PLAN

- I'm pretty sure I can move the folder Ableton User to the external; that would be a good start to clearing internal disk space as I have a lot of stuff I've recorded myself in there plus everything that Live assigns to it.

- And I * think * I can probably move all of my Projects & Sets to the external drive as well, if I'm not mistaken, and run them from there.

- My plan is to establish the new folder locations, point Live 10 to them and make sure it still functions as expected, and then apply the update to 11.

- I have backed up the existing Ableton (Live 10 Suite) folder, and my projects & sets to an isolated folder on the same external drive (4 Tb -- why not?) because I am aware that some of the Pack updates in the 11 install will cause incompatibilities with the 10 sets.

MY QUESTIONS

- Given the system detailed above, and the fact that I am about to install Live 11 Suite, is it reasonable to believe that establishing the external-drive operational plan described is in fact a good idea?

IF YES:
- Can I also move all of my PACKS? (I believe these are located in the folder Ableton Factory)

- (I have a hunch that moving plugins really isn't the best idea; I will leave them where they are).

- If yes to any or all: Is there any particular "best / most-organized" way to do this which will break as few references being used by Live as possible?

-- Do I just drag them in the Finder to their new location and then tell Live "HEY! Look over HERE! ?"
-- Or are such moves made in the Live Browser?

- System performance: Given the system & external drive details I provided, I have to assume there will be some kind of reduction in system performance and throughput compared with running everything from an internal SSD, and I'm prepared to accept a certain amount of "something's not quite the same."

- Have you all got any kind of anecdotal or experienced wisdom regarding just how much of a hit I can expect?

I know that a great deal depends upon the nature of my sets themselves -- how much they rely on external audio clips, the nature and complexity of their instruments, etc., so I'm not looking for absolutes or guarantees.

I'm really just interested in any general comments that might be offered, so that I can try and avoid at least somewhat the unpleasant sound I hear when I thwack the heel of my hand against my forehead!

If I have left out necessary or useful information, please let me know and I will provide.

With all respect and best wishes
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite