13 Tips for Picking Plugins

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
brianwdowling

13 Tips for Picking Plugins

Post by brianwdowling » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:11 pm

Not so much tips and tricks for Ableton, but with all of the Black Friday sales, I was thinking about the evaluation process I go through when I'm thinking of getting a new plugin and whether I really need it or not given all of the stock devices. So put together a short video. Thanks. Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Tf70Mv-q4

DunedinDragon

Re: 13 Tips for Picking Plugins

Post by DunedinDragon » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:59 am

Pretty good overview. The only thing that jumped out at me is when you talked about listening to samples on videos. For myself, I only listen briefly to the samples for the reason you point out. However, the most important video you can pay attention to are the vendor's walkthrough videos which give you a complete feel for how the plug in is used in practice and goes over all it's individual features. Those tend to be the most complete and comprehensive videos more so than just some random user out there going over the functionality and that's the one that will tell you more about how useful the plugin will likely be in practice.

brianwdowling

Re: 13 Tips for Picking Plugins

Post by brianwdowling » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:38 pm

True. Some of the reviewers are quite a bit better and you do have to weed through the various offerings as they tend to be unequal. Thanks for the comment. Brian