is crackles when ableton not in foreground a thing?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
klawrence

is crackles when ableton not in foreground a thing?

Post by klawrence » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:53 am

Whenever I go to firefox or chrome to look up a score or something, while playing Ableton, there are hiccups. But as soon as I make Ableton 11 the foreground app, it's smooth as butter. I7-12600, spectronics on separate ssd m.2 drive vs main boot drive with ableton installed. Both nvme drives..

thanks! Apologies there is so much to search through and I just need this quick answer

yur2die4

Re: is crackles when ableton not in foreground a thing?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:38 pm

Could be a number of possibilities. But one of the first things I check is whether or not the computer is set to full power mode whenever Live is open.

I personally saved a power profile for when I did not have Live open, and one for when I planned to do things in Live.

If it is not at ‘full performance’, there’s the possibility that the cpu might be going to a more conservative power mode when you’re using the browser, believing that when your GUI for Live isn’t in view, it isn’t having to process as much. So then the computer processes Live’s audio but not at peak performance.

Still, this issue could be from any number of things. Are you using ASIO drivers dedicated to an audio interface for your sound drivers?

klawrence

Post by klawrence » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:10 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:38 pm
Are you using ASIO drivers dedicated to an audio interface for your sound drivers?
Yes of course. RME Fireface UCX ASIO

Still happens for me. Computer is i7-12700k. Power plan is set to balanced because obviously I don't want CPU running at 100% all the time. The minimum CPU allowed is set for 5%. I really don't think I should have to modify this. The TDP of the processor is something like 125W. There is an "advanced" windows feature for performance where you can configure priority for "applications" or "background processes" - tried both, no difference.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:05 am

Is Windows using the same interface as Ableton Live?

Either Windows is using the pc soundcard, which I would imagine wouldn’t cause any issues, or it is sharing the interface with Live. I’ve heard of people having some small issues where they had to at least match some of the audio settings between Live and Windows so the interface wasn’t operating at two different modes.

Beyond that, I can’t think of too much more for suggestions.