Samples on seperate keys?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DeadlyKungFu

Samples on seperate keys?

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:35 pm

I'd like to do some negativeland type vocal manipulations, basically take a conversation between two people, rearrange the words in the fly and come up with new conversations.

I can do this by putting each word in a different clip and launching clips from the keyboard but my actions aren't recorded in midi.

Simpler isn't configurable enough to assign one note per simpler with no pitch shifting, maybe a midi filter in front of simpler?

I'd prefer to do this in Ableton without other plugins due to the number of phrases I'd like at my fingertips at any given time.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:06 am

the actions arent recorded in midi, but they are recorded onto that audio track as quantized audio events. its almost the same.

and u can easily consolidate those into larger pieces.
b
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:26 pm

It is certainly possible to do it that way, but I belive it will be very much easier to do with any sampler plug in that allows multisampling. Just put each sample on a different key on you keyboard. A free sampler like Paax would probably do the trick:

http://www.kotkasuniverse.com/paax_index.htm

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:32 pm

How many phrases would you need? If it's less than 9 I'd use the Impulse, if it's 9-16 I'd use two ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Machinate - you have the smartest solutions! :D 8O :wink:

Cheers,
Mikael

ps. If it's 17-24 phrases - I'd use three Impulses. Or maybe one Shortcircuit Free.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 pm

thanks for the replies.

I don't have Ableton with me now (at work) but if I remember right I couldn't get Simpler to behave so that each simpler responds to a different note and only that one note.

Then there's the pitch shifting (each simpler is on a different note, ie not on C where the pitch is unaffected) but that can be adjusted in Simpler.

I like recording my creativity in MIDI, less disk space on LOOONG recordings and it's more flexible during production.

How many samples? thousands muahuahuahuauha :lol: I do have sampler plug-ins but I want to keep the CPU usage low as possible so the rest of the track can run.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:25 pm

if there are loads of samples, then make them into seperate clips... do whatever pitch-shifting you wanna do before hand... (you could do mulitiple versions of each clip with different pitches etc...), and then assign midi notes or cc messages to launch each clip... then trigger away!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:25 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:thanks for the replies.

I don't have Ableton with me now (at work) but if I remember right I couldn't get Simpler to behave so that each simpler responds to a different note and only that one note.

Then there's the pitch shifting (each simpler is on a different note, ie not on C where the pitch is unaffected) but that can be adjusted in Simpler.

I like recording my creativity in MIDI, less disk space on LOOONG recordings and it's more flexible during production.

How many samples? thousands muahuahuahuauha :lol: I do have sampler plug-ins but I want to keep the CPU usage low as possible so the rest of the track can run.
:? :?:

Did you not read Machinate's suggestion?

:?: :?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:55 am

maybe he got impulse and simpler confused, or didnt realize impulse was suggested.

impulse will do what u want. simpler wont.
but impulse will!
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Yeah, I missed the Impulse reference and read it as Simpler. I never knew you could drop samples into Impulse, that's beautiful. For years I've tried clicking all over the instrument to load a sample, I missed the obvious solution, Impulse has a new meaning to me. Definitely time to RTFM.

So the other half is getting two or more Impulses to respond to different midi notes, ie Impulse #1 is on C3-B3, #2 is on C4-B4, etc. One of the midi effects I imagine.

Thanks to you all. \m/

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:40 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:So the other half is getting two or more Impulses to respond to different midi notes, ie Impulse #1 is on C3-B3, #2 is on C4-B4, etc. One of the midi effects I imagine.
Use a Scale device on each of the Impulse channels. Set it (for example) to scale each C->C, C#->D, D->E, D#->F, E->G and so forth. I started making an .als for you, but I'm too tired to see straight. But it's doable!

Cheers,
Mikael

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:28 pm

Lo-Fi, Shortcircuit free is 2 poly only...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:31 am

Machinate wrote:Lo-Fi, Shortcircuit free is 2 poly only...
Yep! But he was talking about making cut-up "sentences". From "Shortcircuit free is 2 poly only" he'd make for example "Only Poly is free" in real time. Only one word spoken at a time - monophonic!

Cheers,
Mikael