Impulse

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jeskola

Impulse

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:27 am

Okay, so i have a synth connected up to my apple/ableton.

How can i load the drum sounds into impulse without bounicng them to audio. In other can i attach a patch from my drum to impulse/./

at present i have to set up midi to play the drums off the synth, then when im happy bounce in each sounds middi pattern/occurence. OR record in the individual drum hit as audio and then arrange with impulse...

not ideal - id prefer to tell impulse to play say a kick drum (but be able to choose that drum from a chosen kit of the synth.)

Does this make sense?

im guessing its not possible cause its no in the manula nor can i see how to add things to impulse other than dragging audio ssamples to the pads.

what would be neat would be to select a pad in impulse and then tell it wich midi channel to play from then which note to play from the synth!!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:29 pm

It depends. AFAIK, Impulse isn't able to send MIDI out from the individual spots, but I could be wrong. I'm still using Live 4. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What synth are you using? If I'm understanding correctly, you're basically trying to get a number of drum sounds out of one synthesizer without having to bounce them down to audio. If you're using something like a Roland MC unit, you will be able to send individual MIDI notes to it, and it will play the corresponding drum sound. On another synth, that may not be the case.

I guess it would depend on the synth. If it can play individual drum noises from certain keys, great. If not, you may have to figure out how to play with the multiimbral, that is, getting different sounds from different MIDI channels.

I'd say that your best bet (again, this depends on the synth) would be to set up drum kits in your synths, and trigger them with MIDI clips. Then you could set up a few different kits for different drum noises, and change the patch number in the MIDI clip accordingly.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap sampler like one of the Akai S2000 units, and load all your drums samples into that. Then you'd have 32 megs of drum samples to play with, all accessible from whatever MIDI note you assign to them.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:53 pm

I guess it would depend on the synth. If it can play individual drum noises from certain keys, great. If not, you may have to figure out how to play with the multiimbral, that is, getting different sounds from different MIDI channels.
thats exactly it, yes my synth is multitimral - yep i can play out on seperate channels - 16 of them.... but i want to send the individual noises from indiviual keys to the pads of the impulse. so say i have a kick on my synth - if i press the first pad on impulse itplays the kick, a snare on the synth is played by the second pad and so on... so then i can set up indivudal channels in ableton and select the diferent drum parts and effect them, without bouncing to audio - just effecting the cahnnels output.

So - as with impulse, write the drum patterns then send individual drum sounds to individual channels to play with - cause my synth is hooked up there is only one ext in, so all my synth parts and drums play out the same channel - so in order to EQ, filter or effect any one channel, i have to either effect the lot , or turn of all the other channels, effect the one i want then bounce to audio and so on, till i have all my parts.

ideally id like to be able to have my drums , synths etc play out from the synth into ableton and effect each one seperatly. SO basically i have an ableton file and thats it - hit"on" on the synth and it plays the write noises.

bah... i dont know if im making any sense - but what im talking about should be possible...[/quote]

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:35 pm

The only option you have is to sample the drums from your synth then. after that you can load them in impulse, no problem.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:44 pm

:(

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:31 pm

the better option is as Machinate says... but you can route midi from impulse to an external synth...

set up an impulse.

set up another midi channel

change "midi from" to your impulse channel

change "midi to" to your midi out/synth.

the problem with this is... that it won't necessarily play the notes that are assigned to the sounds you want.

so... yeah... do what Machinate says.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:20 pm

But you could remap the notes with a scale device..?