Idea - DJs - Why don't we share our .asd files?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes please!
55%
No - stop wasting time and get on with Warping your own tracks!
45%

Total votes: 56

Sonny D

Re:

Post by Sonny D » Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Trypset wrote:^
|

why don't you just pay monkey in your closet for sets......then push the spacebar and stare at all the speaker tweaking 16 year olds dancing because of the drugs and not your shitty set you paid for. No one will ever know......except the REAL Heads who are leaving the dance floor because the set sounds like everyother 1 hr set from people like you who have money to waste on preworked audio. The fact alone that you/anybody would pay for warped tracks really gets to me......

this is fucking music.....music is from the heart not some website that takes wanna be trust fund musicians money to give them the edge over other DJs.......thats the only point i see in selling/sharing something like an .asd./

DJing is already controversial b/c DJs just mix preexisting tracks, don't make it more cheesy by selling a warped song template.

Nuff Sed
You got me.

longjohns

Re: Idea - DJs - Why don't we share our .asd files?

Post by longjohns » Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 am

seems to be a strong necro-bump tendency on this one

flippo

Post by flippo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 am

there is also the issue of people interpreting transients differently; some people warp to the transient peaks, some people warp to the beginning of the attack etc.

Sonny D

Post by Sonny D » Mon May 17, 2010 2:57 pm

An .asd file is a powerful tool but...

I hate warping acapella's, tracks that were recorded live and have no quantization, or tracks that change tempo wildly. If I could get nice tight acapellas or some quantized Stevie Wonder or some Dazz Band, count me in.

Joe Moriarty

Re:

Post by Joe Moriarty » Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 pm

cavern wrote:I agree with Inis. Warping songs isnt that time consuming for me...and if a song does take a long time to warp...that's just my edge over another DJ who is too lazy to do it.

Hit the nail on the head :!: :)

Warping can be a real pain in the ass, especially poorly quantised/older tracks where the beats are all over the place. Some of them need every single beat to be hammered down.

Wouldn't share MP3 tracks for free which other people have worked hard on, so certainly wouldn't share .asd files I've personally worked on (sometimes for an hour or more) so some lazy DJ can grab my work and have an easy ride.

With the amount of ease Live creates for DJing, editing, chopping, etc I'm sure it won't kill people to work on warping the track once (as it only needs to be done once). If you were DJing with vinyl or CDs you'd have to sync up that track every time you played it. Live lets you treat that aspect as a one-and-done, letting you get on with the creativity 8) 8) 8)

flippo

Re: Re:

Post by flippo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Joe Moriarty wrote: Some of them need every single beat to be hammered down.
wont that straighten out all the swing in the track? I would have thought that one quantization per bar would be the max to prevent from removing all the groove that the drummer or producer intended.

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Wed May 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Im discouraged by the mere fact that...if I found a bunch of people playing the same tracks I as am....I would then have to change up my whole set. I dont want to be the DJ thats pumping that same lame ass track you hear every week...no matter how cool it it. A good DJ is defined by his ability to find those super awesome hidden tracks that no one else can seem to find. Oh ya...f-u beatport!

lukedubyah

Post by lukedubyah » Fri May 21, 2010 10:35 am

Hi guys,

My names Luke Dubyah, I produce radio shows in Ableton (and have just moved to playing out live with a Phatboy+launchpad!)... we've been tinkering with exactly this idea for a while and I logged on here to see if anyone might be interested:

Our site is warpsauce it's still in a beta phase, so it mostly works... we need to make it a bit prettier and are testing an uploader that makes it easier to get your files online.

We've found that purchased MP3s from different stores will work fine with the same ASD file, you just need to rename it to match... my ideas for the project have changed, I'd love it to be much more of a community than my original business partner had intended it as a money making exercise (he's now left so it's all me).

I hadn't intended to mention it quite yet, so there will be things that change in the next month:
1) look n feel
2) buying credits will mostly go, I wanted a way to prevent people just dloading everything and giving nothing back... any idea how else to do this?
3) an uploader that takes the info from ID3 tags in a selected folder when matched to an ASD
4) more content - I've collected loads of ASD files and I'm going to start adding them June 1st
5) Much more intuitive!

Please have a play, give me any (no matter how brutal) feedback - if you leave your username on warpsauce here in a comment I'll add loads more credits for download to your account to play with it.

Luke

lukedubyah

Post by lukedubyah » Fri May 21, 2010 10:39 am

oh and in response to the "why bother?" for me, I didn't start taking ableton out live till I could do more than what I could do with CDJs... having warped tracks means it frees up my time for making loops and things so my live sets are more creative... I'd be a pretty crap DJ if I just straight mixed tracks, or just triggered them on a launchpad!

Joe Moriarty

Re: Re:

Post by Joe Moriarty » Wed May 26, 2010 2:09 pm

flippo wrote:
Joe Moriarty wrote: Some of them need every single beat to be hammered down.
wont that straighten out all the swing in the track? I would have thought that one quantization per bar would be the max to prevent from removing all the groove that the drummer or producer intended.

Not necessarily. I understand the need for swing, but older 4/4 tracks - early Chicago, Detroit tracks - have poor quantisation simply due to the drum machines used back then not being as tight as the likes of Live is now. For these tracks there aren't set swing calculations - which can sound like pots and pans when mixing 2 similarly produced tracks.

Trust me dude - I don't enjoy warping, but I really like the results. I only warp where and when I need to!

georgelindsay

Post by georgelindsay » Wed May 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Total noob here wondering what warping is about.
so far I have just used live for throwing audio into live and then into drum racks and trying out remixing and creating new sounds this way.... doing everything from the arrange view

I'd like to get into the DJ side of things, after reading this and seeing everyone talking about warping and how it is necessary could someone explain the process to me and how it fits in with a DJ set... does it have something to do with getting all your tracks to flow together? Warping them to the same tempo? Also does a DJ set usually have the same tempo throughout the whole set?