anyone having trouble with acceptance of your djing w/ live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
stew

Post by stew » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:55 pm

azmotronik wrote:How hot is that? Make the party fun and nobody will care what you're using.
Exactly. If the crowd is having a good time, you're doing a good job.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:42 pm

hambone1 wrote:I would LOVE to NOT be called or known as a DJ because I use Live.

I do FAR more than any DJ can do, and wish there was a commonly accepted job title for Abletoning.
I'm with Hambone...I'd like to be called "Laptop performer" or "Electronic Artist" instead of DJ. :D

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:02 am

I don't use a laptop, but the electronic artist term could be cool, although it conjures up visions of beatniks and chin-stroking...

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 am

if you guys really need terminolgy call yourselves a CDJ (Computer DJ) :wink:

I personally found it much to embarrassing using Live only to dj with. That wont change for a long time and contrary to what a number say on here Spinning on a platter isnt going to die out anytime soon especially with Final Scratch becoming more and more popular among the dedicated vinylists of which there are thousands.

And keep in mind that Final Scratch and the likes will be updated with more features as time goes by. So the FS users will be using a computer just the same as a Live user. Theres one major difference , the FS user will be beat matching and however you look at it he/she will get the respect from his peers while the fader pusher/autowarper will generally be ridiculed.

I didnt make the rules, thats just how it is.

Turntable spinning will still be around long after vinyl has gone and even thats still goiing to take at least another five years.

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:12 am

If you are a producer and a dj and you spin your own music, what's to stop you from rendering all your music at the same BPM? You would be surprised to see how many do this and only appear to be beatmatching when all they are really doing is just matching tempo speeds on the turntables. And for that matter why would you go out of your way not to in the first place? Now sure a progressive song requires a certian tempo just the same as would a jungle track however to the person producing it's all for them to do whatever they want with it. You really need to take a good look around because the vinyl enthusiasts are actually DROPPING by the THOUSANDS. In the past year here in Jax we haven't gotten only FIVE technical writers for a headling DJ requesting Turntables. Those were George Acosta (spun half his set with vinyl half with cd's, Behrouz (the same), Christopher Lawrence (4 vinyl records played in a 3 hour set), Paul van Dyk (who uses Final Scratch), and Crystal Method (whose DJ sets are a joke). Of the other 50 or so shows we have done here everyone else requested only Pioneer CDJs. And what also seems to be on the rise here is a big increase in headling acts requesting extra tables to put their computers(and they weren't using Final Scratch or tracktor). Gabriel and Dresden, James Zabiella, Evil Nine, & Jackal and Hyde just to name a few. Vinyl is dead. DJing is about playing for the crowd and making people have a good time so ofcourse it really doesn't matter how you do it. Technology is the way to go though. If you keep on thinking you are a REAL dj just because you do things the so called hard way you are only holding yourself back from growing and doing bigger and better things.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:08 pm

In my opinion, the vinyl-spinning thing is a visual circus act. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. It IS show business, after all, and the crowds have unfortunately grown to expect some sort of show. And it seems, like the circus juggler's implements, the more turntables the better the show (watch me juggle EIGHT chainsaws now!)

I am seriously considering adding a turntable (or 2 or 3?) for visual effect, especially if I can master some basic turntablist skills, which can't be that hard.
Last edited by hambone1 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:20 am

hambone1 wrote: I am seriously considering adding a turntable (or 2 or 3?) for visual effect, especially if I can master some basic turntablist skills, which can't be that hard.
I'm thinking of just using the club's decks to scratch some shit up over the top of live sets, just bringing one or two good battle records along and going nuts... an easy crowd pleaser if you use the decks creatively :)

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:39 am

Vinyl based DJing isnt going to vanish anytime soon. There is a stigma using ableton live to dj. Even more so that Traktor.

The new term I have heard for Ableton DJs is Fader Pusher..

Personally I think the trem is justified.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:52 am

Horses were around long after the introduction of the motorcar, too...

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:23 pm

DJRetard wrote:Vinyl based DJing isnt going to vanish anytime soon. There is a stigma using ableton live to dj. Even more so that Traktor.

The new term I have heard for Ableton DJs is Fader Pusher..

Personally I think the trem is justified.
I quite like the name Fader Pusher :D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 pm

pffft .. fader pusher ??
all my faders are automated!

that's why they call me "DJ Bookreada"

wyle_e_drumz

Post by wyle_e_drumz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:40 am

There IS a name for what you are doing, it's called LIVE PA, and it's been called that for years (long before 'LIVE' came out. The next time someone says shtuff like that, say what I do: Hang on, I'm mixing. then return to work. Or: dj'ing is active music appreciation, I am a live pa'er, this is live production, meaning I am MAKEING it from scratch right NOW. It takes a lot more work, and if you say these mean things again, my favourite doorman will demonstrate his job to you. Now say your sorry, and f off.
GRIN
Wyle E.
life's tough get a crash helmet cuz there's no white flags

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:08 pm

I'm a musician but I recently started Djing because people have been asking me to do it for a while. I've had no interest in DJing over the 15 years I've seen DJs spread like the mediatic disease it is. No way I could/wanted to buy decks AND vinyls, and as the music I spin (well don't spin) is 60's and 70's funk and dance music I wanted to be able to remix live, adding big bass drums and other percussions on mixes, as the way we produce music now has rhythms much louder.
That's why I bought Live3. But I only started in July this year.

First of all, compared to playing in a band, as that's what I had been doing for 25 years, this is so much easier, and less stressful. No wonder there are so many DJs. Everybody can do it and well, everybody does it.
But on the first night I got this guy coming to me agressively "you lazy bastard! where are your decks ??? I'm saying this because I have DJ friends "
yeah, who hasn't ?...

I hadn't thought about people reacting like that. He didn't even listen to the music.

I came to the conclusion that some people see DJing as a SPORT. Where carrying 2x 1200s and boxes of vinyls is part of the physical performance and that alone deserves respect. :roll:
whereas carrying 6 kilos of hi tech is lazy, no matter what you've got in there, and how hard you've worked to prepare your stuff.

And I think it was claudek that said that touching the vinyl with your hands is what gives the music a human feel :lol:

PS I know how to beat match with decks, with a sense of rhythm a 5 year old can do it, and again 5 year olds do it. Yes, it's that common to spin vinyls.
What I find irritating in the DJ culture (culture not being the right word) is that pretentious attitude of being "in" "now" when playing with decks and breaks is a 20 year old skill that appeared before samplers were affordable, and playing tracks on vinyl is 80 years old or something.

I love and use scratchings in tracks, which really makes sounds and rhythms you can't get anywhere else.

So yeah it's just theatre, sport and attitude :lol:
Last edited by Chris J on Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:09 pm

doubled post but can't delete
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:43 pm

Chris J wrote: "you lazy bastard! where are your decks ??? I'm saying this because I have DJ friends "
yeah, who hasn't ?...

:lol:

I love the way the guy wasn't even a DJ himself, damn , that's a rare breed.

I recently stumbled into a whole layer of blokes recently that I hadn't seen for a while. ALL the guys are DJ's, they are all about 45 years old and college lecturers by day ...
but DJs by night, with the apartments of a 20 year old (Decks and a matress in the living room). Oh, and they all had giggly 21 year old girlfriends.

I began to see a little bit more what this 'DJ' thing represented to them. I can see why they might value their 'skills' quite highly and make it sound very dificult to do correctly.
To them It represented youth, status and virility in a culture where the lack of those is social death.