anyone having trouble with acceptance of your djing w/ live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:24 pm

AdamJay wrote:blakejarrel,

i really dig the way you've set up the BCR.

it makes me wish the BCR supported OverLays similar to how the UC-33 does
thanks adam

i was really bored one day

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:04 pm

how many people who play on turntables can even "mix" anyway?!?

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:36 pm

They can mix 2 tracks. :lol:

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:49 pm

doing more than a dj ever could with the help of a computer doesn't say much, I gotta agree with hambone on this one, tell them you're a wav jockey.

bout me. I make hiphop, use live mainly for studio use but ocasionaly do sets with turntablist or throw down some beats for MCs here and there as well as grace open mics as a one man show flowing on the mic while throwing down beats with Live and one turntable. I tell the people I make my own beats (wich consist of sampling and Live instrumentation) and flow over them. they are well impressed. I never say i'm a dj, cause i'm not.
for the love of Live

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:54 pm

::mic-minimal:: wrote:doing more than a dj ever could with the help of a computer doesn't say much, I gotta agree with hambone on this one, tell them you're a wav jockey.

bout me. I make hiphop, use live mainly for studio use but ocasionaly do sets with turntablist or throw down some beats for MCs here and there as well as grace open mics as a one man show flowing on the mic while throwing down beats with Live and one turntable. I tell the people I make my own beats (wich consist of sampling and Live instrumentation) and flow over them. they are well impressed. I never say i'm a dj, cause i'm not.
AIFF jockey... :wink:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:46 pm

It's all about the BCR labelling:

:)

dpkni1

Post by dpkni1 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:10 am

Hey Black Jarrell,

I noticed that on your BCR set up, you have a rotary assigned to volume. Is this set up to control a Utility gain function, or the actual volume fader for that particular track? Just curious if you've replaced the 'traditional' fader for volume with a rotary and if so, how it works for you? I'm a fan of the way you set up the bcr too....might have to borrow some pointers from that photo. Also, I might have missed it but are you using a button or anything on the bcr to cue tracks?

Dave
half a man walks with no shadow

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:53 pm

dpkni1 wrote:Hey Black Jarrell,

I noticed that on your BCR set up, you have a rotary assigned to volume. Is this set up to control a Utility gain function, or the actual volume fader for that particular track? Just curious if you've replaced the 'traditional' fader for volume with a rotary and if so, how it works for you? I'm a fan of the way you set up the bcr too....might have to borrow some pointers from that photo. Also, I might have missed it but are you using a button or anything on the bcr to cue tracks?

Dave
yes im using the rotary knobs to control the actual fader volume on the track. i put a utility on each track set to -6db gain so i can turn the volume knob all the way up without clipping and do any additional gaining by hand in the clip view window. i also have the crossfader set up in case i want to use it.

to cue tracks i have a knob set to control scene, which moves the highlight up and down, then for each audio track i have and button set to play and stop whatever clip is currently highlighted by the scene button, rendering my mouse almost useless lol

if you meant cueing tracks as in listening to them in the headphones kinda thing, i dont do that, i spend countless hours warping stuff and cutting things up etc etc, so i know all 30GBs of my wavs pretty well by now lol

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:51 pm

people that say things like that are normally too ignorant to be educated
I would not concern yourself with people like that.

A person who would make an effort to actually walk into the DJ booth and tell you that you're not a "real DJ" is nothing more than a worthless jerkwad, with too much time on his hands. He's trying to make himself feel cool, or superior... by trying to put you down. Only someone who is rather insecure, or maybe even jealous, would do such a thing. What does it really accomplish for him? I mean... if you said... you're right... and then turned off Ableton and mixed vinyl.... he would probably complain about your record selection or mixing ability. That guy is just looking for a way to show that he knows more than anyone else about everything.... that's all.

A person who I would be concerned about is someone who doesn't say anything, and just leaves. But... like you said.. if the people are still dancing, then I think their feet are telling you enough.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:27 pm

blakejarrell wrote:
dpkni1 wrote:Hey Black Jarrell,

Dave
yes im using the rotary knobs to control the actual fader volume on the track. i put a utility on each track set to -6db gain so i can turn the volume knob all the way up without clipping and do any additional gaining by hand in the clip view window. i also have the crossfader set up in case i want to use it.

to cue tracks i have a knob set to control scene, which moves the highlight up and down, then for each audio track i have and button set to play and stop whatever clip is currently highlighted by the scene button, rendering my mouse almost useless lol

if you meant cueing tracks as in listening to them in the headphones kinda thing, i dont do that, i spend countless hours warping stuff and cutting things up etc etc, so i know all 30GBs of my wavs pretty well by now lol
thanks for the tips blakejarrell, do your knobs double as buttons and if so do you use the knobs as buttons for anything?
for the love of Live

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:21 pm

Yeah people were skeptical about my use of Live...until they heard my mixes. That shut them up pretty quick. ;)

The age old viny vs the rest of the world argument is pointless...Live vs vinyl vs CD's is no differant. Who cares, its the final product that matters- we are there to play/perform music...who cares what medium is used to that end.

What I do is bring along my DJ partner when I play live- he uses CD decks and he brings his Denon turntables...which we use to put our drinks on.

I got into a discussion about the ole vinyl vs CD etc issue with Frankie Bones, it was pretty pointless. He was saying how he could "skool" sasha on vinyl etc...well so what?!

I think Supster really nailed it, traditional DJ's are threatened by us Live users because hey, we will make them extinct before long. ;)

"DJing" will only take you so far...its about PRODUCING!!
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:41 pm

hambone1 wrote:I would LOVE to NOT be called or known as a DJ because I use Live.

I do FAR more than any DJ can do, and wish there was a commonly accepted job title for Abletoning.
there is nothing wrong with the term DJ. You are, after all, just playing music to a crowd to either enjoy, listen to, dance to, or just experience.

Either way, you are a DJ (as we've come to know it not withstanding we aren't using discs anymore :) ).

No reason to invent yet another term for what is essentially the thing we are doing that already has a name...

rob.

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:14 pm

"last night a wave jockey saved my life..with a song!"
ha.

;)
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

azmotronik

Post by azmotronik » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:39 pm

blakejarrell wrote:i agree with supster on this, its always some wanna be dj that has something stupid to say, there are lots of em in louisiana, you cant piss downwind without hitting a dj in this state.
I've played laptop shows in NOLA(Hi-Ho, NoLa DnB) I had a really great response, I even invited folks up on the stage to see what I was doing. I think it boils down to being good to your crowd. Play good music, and play for the folks who are enjoying it. The great thing about the laptop as opposed to the crates is that you can switch from your setlist of tech house/idm/hiphop to whatever the crowd will dig. Not that I stand there and take requests or anything, but one of my favorite nights was when in the middle of my Live set, a girl walks up and asks me to play something sexy, so I bust out Commodores, "Easy" and trick it out. How hot is that? Make the party fun and nobody will care what you're using. If the "hardcore" dj runs up and wants to talk smack about "mp3j'ing" then punch him in the face. People love that kinda stuff. ;)

/a.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:03 pm

nice one blake....i am gonna sell my uc17 sooner than expected and get that :p