lower the main outs volume

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
datagroove

lower the main outs volume

Post by datagroove » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:22 am

v2 no longer has a pad on the output volume. Its best not to always be in the red on your main outs. So go into the bus view (lower right corner of the any window.. looks like a little bus icon) and in this view there are two options -input and output- drop down your main outs a bit

datagroove

Re: lower the main outs volume

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:23 pm

datagroove wrote:v2 no longer has a pad on the output volume.
datagroove
What does this mean ? Is it referring to some kind of limiting ?

must be....

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:49 am

I assume there was some limiting going on...

I didn't use 1.5.2 much before my 2.0 upgrade came along... but I noticed the main outs rarely -- if ever -- redlined.

Most of my older sets created in 1.5 (all seven of them!) redlined playing back under 2.0...

I've had to go back and adjust things a tad. This tip is GREATLY appreciated, by the way... I was wondering which approach would be best...

tlc

PS: If this is the case, I wonder if Ableton might restore the "limiting" function as an option? An on/off switch or some such?

I think that would be useful...

datagroove

Post by datagroove » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:30 am

to my knowledge there was no limiting, it was just an internal pad that was placed on the main outs. put a vst limiter on the main out track if you want to limit the signal.

datagroove

podprod

pad

Post by podprod » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:22 pm

Hi
just figured out a specific situation that i'd like to share with you all.
Noticed that some concern on the outs being too hot.
Have found that my main outs were too hot to control on powered speckers without going through a pro board..
I appreciate the fact that live streams freakin hot as hell no matter what the sound card.not a problem if using a nice board but if going to simple line mixer or spekers...a simple solution to pad down the signal especially if using powered monitors directly out from the soundcard is a simple whirlwind IMP pad..basic db attenuator
can pad down -20 to -40db..thus can keep the levels true from the software and have some room on your faders
regards
POD