Creative Loops in Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gaspode

Creative Loops in Live

Post by gaspode » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:50 pm

I've been having a ton of fun abusing live and using it to create new samples...

Take a full song... use the warp markers to place a 4/8/16 or sized to your preference amount of beats acrossed all or part of the song. Try listening to what you get (essentially a time compressed song)... play with different settings of beat, texture and the like. Since live does some funky algorythmic adjustments to these samples you end up with something that has the 'feeling' of the piece but ends up sounding completely different.

From here you can mix stir/repeat... but I've found that a fun next step is to move around the song and just see what comes out. Apply filters to please... I've found best results occur when you tell live to use the beat or texture mapping...

Hopefully some of you haven't thought of this and might try it and come up with something useful!

Happy Live'ing :)

Greg

fuentes925

Post by fuentes925 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:17 pm

Yes,
I often do this also. I usally sample a bar or up to 4 bars out of a song and rearrange things with Lives clip view and some effects to get a diffrent beat. I also like to mix and match diffrent bars from a song and then render it to disk as 1 sound to get diffrent loops. With some expirementing you often could end up with happy mistakes