traker fx in live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
j_fonix

traker fx in live?

Post by j_fonix » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:37 pm

(Sorry if you read this post as part of another thread but I thought it made sense to put it here as a new post).

I have not had Live for so long and have been trying to get similar fx to those you can acheive quickly with renoise tracker ....... triggering a sample with varying different offsets and pitch to get that old school remarc/squarepusher sound.

The thing is I cant work out exactly the process in live (there are so many ways to do things in live offering loads of scope).. the best i have come up with is:

1. puting a break into simpler
2. then making a midi pattern to trigger it
3. then drawing in envelopes to control the sample start in simpler (not ideal as there is no time grid on the sample - making it a bit hit and miss as to what bit of the sample is gonna play.)
4. drawing in an envelope to change the pitch at different places.

the whole process lacks the detail that can be acheived in renoise.

anyone who knows how to get a better result in live then I would really like to know.

cheers :)

elix

Post by elix » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:23 pm

you could try using beat repeat and a transpose function, youd still have to automate it but it would have a level of acuracy, dont know if this helps? as im not familiar with the effect your trying to achieve?

a cool trick iv found is to put a sample in simpler (vocal, anything) activate loop and asign the start and loop controls to faders and move them around while the sound is playing if you decrease the loop time corectly you can get an effect similar to the sound from the matrix when neo get covered in the mirror and screams

hope this is helpful

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:52 pm

elix wrote:you could try using beat repeat and a transpose function, youd still have to automate it but it would have a level of acuracy, dont know if this helps? as im not familiar with the effect your trying to achieve?

a cool trick iv found is to put a sample in simpler (vocal, anything) activate loop and asign the start and loop controls to faders and move them around while the sound is playing if you decrease the loop time corectly you can get an effect similar to the sound from the matrix when neo get covered in the mirror and screams

hope this is helpful
Sounds good. I'm sure I tried to map both the play marker and loop braces to controls on the BCR2000 and it wasnt having any of it. Will have to try again!