Another F*%@$*g DJ Topic

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dodge

Post by Dodge » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 am

ben_blue wrote:i will only mention my stuff once. YOU are my competition!

j/k...kindof.

i have BCR2000.

spread across return channels: filter delay (3 in 1!), filter, reverb, redux, autopan, saturator, filter.

each regular channel: filter,
two of regular channels : B repeater + ping pong each.

i have on/off and almost complete control over every single thing.
I use one button, with Bomes', to send a set of many paramters and values for each to a device, with that button on incremental mode in the BCR, and for every increment or press, a new set of parameters is sent to my live [whatever].

having every knob of a beat repeater mapped, is impractical, i dont have enough knobs on the BCR. but having homeade presets triggered by one BCR button, and two buttons - one on/off on toggle and one on/off to momentary, and the power is opened.

let me tell you brotha, the BCR is far from basic, and can do some wild wild shit. just gotta get creative with programming it, and get into Bomes/ PLogue Bidule.

creative BCR example: you got a knob set to a send, right? use an encoder on the top row, and set the push function of the same encoder to the same paramters. set mode to toggle off. set high value to 100 or 127. pressing this down and releasing, you can rythmically send your track to the FX return more easily than turning the knob fast and pulling it down.

using multiple tracks you can "play drums" sending them to an FX track.

speaking of, do you have feedback for a delay mapped? u should.

ive said enough.
This is really useful, thanks for taking the time out to reply. I'm not looking for an easy solution, quite the opposite, I want to get the most out of Live that I can but dont have a strong musical background and am unsure how to use several of Live's features effectively, ansd yes I have read plenty of posts on the board.

For each of the 4 channels I use to mix I have EQ4 (mapped thanks to Adam Jay's post), Reverb, Ping Pong and Simple Delay. I am trying to implement high and low pass filters into my set up using auto filter however I'm getting mixed results.

At present I'm not using Sends and just have the effects mapped to each channel. Is there a benefit to using Sends over my current set up? All channel volumes, master tempo and master volume are mapped to rotary controls. Finally I have SupaTrigga on the master out which is mapped to an 'on - off' button on the BCR.

Innis, surely the point of of forum is for topics and discussions. You dont have the crown jewels in your loft, its just a piece of sotware and I was asking people in general for tips which some have kindly provided. If you arent interested in helping or you find these posts annoying then dont read them, simple dont you think? Get over yourself pr!ck. You dont know me at all or my reasons for using Live. The fact is I have been playing clubs for the last 10 years using vinyl and CDJ's and I now feel the need to change as its getting stale for me.
Last edited by Dodge on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:18 pm

What is all this nonsense about Disc Jockeys? As far as I am aware, DJ's just spin records and discs. It's not like they are musicians or anything. They just play other's tunes for people to dance to. How hard can that be?

inis

Post by inis » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:37 pm

Sasha wrote:Get over yourself, inis.

If you "don't have the time", then just shut the fuck up and don't post.
Your drivel is useless, annoying, depressing, and pathetic, all in one big vain package.

So either remember to take your fucking medication before you log on to the ableton.com forum, or simply stop contributing. Heh, i make it sound like you ever contributed anything useful in the first place. Silly me.

Dodge,
Thank you for enabling ass kiss mode. But I am afraid to say it doesn't work on Inis because Inis is nothing more than a giant ass anyway. Or at the very least he can't stop making an ass of himself in public.
wow, is this the real sasha?

supster

Post by supster » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:40 pm

inis wrote:

Your drivel is useless, annoying, depressing, and pathetic, all in one big vain package.

So either remember to take your fucking medication before you log on to the ableton.com forum, or simply stop contributing. Heh, i make it sound like you ever contributed anything useful in the first place. Silly me.

Dodge,
Thank you for enabling ass kiss mode. But I am afraid to say it doesn't work on Inis because Inis is nothing more than a giant ass anyway. Or at the very least he can't stop making an ass of himself in public.

if it was, would that make you STFU?
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

inis

Post by inis » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:10 pm

supster wrote:
inis wrote:

Dodge,

if it was, would that make you STFU?
im not really sure. I was more just curious. I havnt actually thought how I feel about the matter yet. Granted Sasha is one world famous DJ whose recent experimentation with Live and custom midi controllers seems to have moved him to almost a god-like status in the community. On the other hand, hes constantly critisized by the community that he leads (this forum) for various reasons. i.e. he just paid someone to make a controller for him, hes not original or pioneering at all....or....i find his sets boring and just the same as everyone else, why doesnt he do something original....even....there were much more talented people using live long before sasha, what makes him so special and worthy of our praise.

This is indeed an interesting conflict. Well, by the time "Sasha" reveals his true identity, i will have decided whether or not to respect his opinion.

plunk

Post by plunk » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:15 pm

If you have a controller , you should get plogue bidule or max/msp. then send the midi signals from your controller to one of these programmes to process the midi. From here you can do anything. You can have one knob twist , effectively act like any multiple of knob twists and fader movements. This is great for djing...you can come up with your own signature transitions and filter sweeps that sound quite complicated , but are being achieved with only one fader/knob movement. This kind of stuff is rudimentery , suffice as to say you will need to do a little reading but its one of those things thats like riding a bike and will open the floodgates for impossible sounding mixes. this is what ableton is all about in my opinion...try doing this with decks...

oh , and inis....new people are going to be purchasing ableton all the time , and the same questions are going to be asked over and over...especially stuff like mixing techniques since is such a subjective topic there is no conclusive answer , and never will there be as long as time itself does not collapse in on itself. it would be appreciated if you kept your negativity to yourself - as this is a public forum and as someone rightly pointed out , no message is directed at you. when you see a topic you're tired of , dont bother with it. write a bassline instead, philistines like you are not what the heads at ableton work so hard for , be gracious to those on your way up as you may meet them on your way down. and why do you even give a shit if thats the real sasha or not? is he more worthy of common courtesy ? arent we all human?

inis

Post by inis » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:29 pm

just a simple question. just curious.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:18 am

dodge-
cheers mate.

there is no right way, but for me, i have to decid at certain times if i want more control over less fx or less control over more fx, or, really, constantly find balances in between.

4 tracks each with a reverb, ping pong, and whatever else, is too much for me, at the moment.

i wouldnt have enough to effectivly control the times/ wet dry/ feedback, and filter hz/Q on them all.

a delay is no good to me if i gotta leave it on the same settings.

i have a filter delay on a send (pre) which i can completely customize, for the most part, at any time. then i can send what track to it i want fx'd that way.
or send a few to it. or send one constantly, and feed another for 1/4 beat.
leave feedback @ 100, and u've got a new loop, and if u fed it it's "ammo" as i call it, itll sound like a perfectly cut loop. stick a filter after that and filter that all day and nite.
grab the feedback adn turn it down a bit, and let it all fade away.

or send it (A) to B, with the reverb.

i do have another delay,a pingpong, which is mapped to my bcr and i will move it around to different tracks (as wit everything...in case u forget, u can drag an fx to a different track, but all the mappings remain.)

it takes a lot of time IMO to be able to foresee the mixture of experimentation and planning needed to feel like you've got it all where you want it.

yikes, big sentence.

hope that sparks somethin for ya.

if any more BS is in this thread, we'll just have to PM instead.
i enjoy this , thats why im here.
anyone who doesnt, please go do what it is that can do that for you. :)

this thread is about ableton. if anyone is interested, there are plenty of threads in general about, who's who, who likes what dj, who doesnt, and who doesnt know who they are, blah blah blah..it's all a tired lament.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:00 am

dodge i think if you follow what these guys are saying about effects, you cant go wrong. BUT you can only go so far IN A WAY with effects while djing (unless you understand all the bidule stuff, which I dont, at which point you become a super midi god with limitless possibilities). i would reccomend moving on to things that are more specific to clips...heres some things:

1. I have a folder full of things like noises (white noise, pink noise, ambient noise, crazy noises in general) drum loops (most "top" percussion like congas and stuff) buildups (like snare rolls and bass drum rolls). load a bunch of these clips into a channel and start firing them off, sweeping the LPF and HPF and cranking them into some ping pong delay. gets really fun, but its just like supatrigga and fast fx etc, it gets redundant and annoying if done too much or at the wrong time.

2. I have been doing this thing with vocal tracks that have breakdowns with the vocal or acapellas of them where, before I start playing the track, I make a copy of it, make really small loop points and drag a bunch of different little slices into impulse. i then make a midi clip of random notes and fire it off with a slight bit of ping pong and boom, cool stuttering shit for that ass. its fun and its really random. practice with it at home before you try it live though. maybe even make impulse presets for each of your tracks?

3. this one is time consuming. go through each track you own and split it not only into chunks (like intro, bass drop, breakdown etc) but find "sweet spots" in the track to render out and sample over the rest of the track. maybe there is a cool synth in the breakdown that doesnt appear anywhere else in the track, well now you can put it wherever you want. put all of these parts into a folder with the track. my folder for lostep burma looks something like this:

sashabass.wav
originalmix.wav
ambientmix.wav
introdrums.wav
stuttersynth.wav
tambourines.wav
vocalbreak.wav

all of these parts are ripped straight out of the whole tracks, they are just obviously there for you to render out and reuse to make a live remix on the fly. you could, in all reality, and i do this alot, play the ambient remix, with the intro drums from the original, with the sasha mix bassline, and some white noise flourishes from your folder full of noises.

one thing i will tell you though is, and dont take this the wrong way, no one really gives a shit what you are doing up their in the booth other than:
A) the hardcore audio geeks who actually know that you are not just playing tunes through winamp, and they think its the best thing ever.
B) the DJs that are still using vinyl who, odds are, are going to talk so much shit about you using ableton you will probably land yourself in jail for clobbering one of these backwoods f'ers.

the important thing is that you are having fun with it. thats why i got into ableton, because it was simply more fun than matching beats and lighting a cigarette while waiting to match the next one.

and dont forget that you are an entertainer, make the girls dance and you cant go wrong. thats just how it works.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:45 pm

"nd dont forget that you are an entertainer, make the girls dance and you cant go wrong. thats just how it works."

AMEN!
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:01 pm

inis wrote: This is indeed an interesting conflict. Well, by the time "Sasha" reveals his true identity, i will have decided whether or not to respect his opinion.
actually the whole thing is pretty hilarious in either event .. ;)

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

inis

Post by inis » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:51 am

supster wrote:
inis wrote: This is indeed an interesting conflict. Well, by the time "Sasha" reveals his true identity, i will have decided whether or not to respect his opinion.
actually the whole thing is pretty hilarious in either event .. ;)

I concure.