Another F*%@$*g DJ Topic

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dodge

Another F*%@$*g DJ Topic

Post by Dodge » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Right then! I have been using Live 4 / 5 for the past few months and am looking for some hints and tips on DJ'ing, basically effects that you have used when playing out or any techniques which worked well for you.

I DJ'd extensively with Technics decks and CDJ's so I understand the basic principles. Having played out using Live I got a great response but I'm sure there is more I could of done to enhance the experience. I appreciate that many of you guys produce and have a knowledge base way above that of my own so any tips you could offer would be appreciated.

I tend to use SupaTrigga, Ping Pong Delay, Reverb and low and high pass filters during a set, all mapped to controls on a BCR2000. Effects such as Beat Repeat sound great but its hard to map for implementation with a midi controller IMO.

[ASS KISS MODE] You must all be sick of these threads by now but I would appreciate your help and wise words [/ASS KISS MODE]

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:19 pm

Lead, don't follow. Don't be yet another DJ Lemming.

Use your imagination. That's what Live's all about, IMHO.

inis

Post by inis » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:38 pm

I know you would "appreciate" someone handing you an answer. But honestly, I dont have the time, ive already explained it to like 3 other fucking people today.

What makes you so special. go fuck yourself and use a search function. Every basic ass DJ question that you could possible ask has been answered 10 times over. Ive had it with these threads. I wont be nice anymore.

dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:43 pm

"inis makes the crucial error in thinking every message board post is in fact, a personal message directly to him..."

:wink:

supster

Post by supster » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:45 pm

drc24 wrote:"inis makes the crucial error in thinking every message board post is in fact, a personal message directly to him..."

:wink:

hahaha .... no doubt. Crucial Messageboard Error #732
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:00 pm

inis wrote:I know you would "appreciate" someone handing you an answer. But honestly, I dont have the time, ive already explained it to like 3 other fucking people today.

What makes you so special. go fuck yourself and use a search function. Every basic ass DJ question that you could possible ask has been answered 10 times over. Ive had it with these threads. I wont be nice anymore.

Fuck you retard, dont read the post if it bothers you that much, its not as though you didnt know what its about. :D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:13 pm

not being a DJ I am hardly best placed to give advice .. but I am a punter and I do know what I like in a night and thats a bit of imagination and variation from the standard.

Live gives you the ability to program your own basslines and drum patterns as well as using loops. Live also lets you include tracks that might seem totally inapropriate such as vocals from a completely different era and BPM or pitch.
use material from completely unrelated genres.

Really it depends what music you play though and what the crowd will tollerate. If it's a weak minded crowd they might start to rebel if you start playing 'frankie teardrop' by Suicide alongside the latest hands-in-the-air mindless anthem.

GK

Post by GK » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:22 pm

i think you should perfect the art of warping [ i haven't ]

and sure get a controller...without one , how could you manipulate at the same time effects,devices,eq's , reverbs, and a zillion other functions?..
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:19 pm

GK wrote:i think you should perfect the art of warping [ i haven't ]

and sure get a controller...without one , how could you manipulate at the same time effects,devices,eq's , reverbs, and a zillion other functions?..
I have warping down, straight mixes sound cool. I am also using a Behringer BCR2000 which is pretty basic but seems to cope with what I want to do for now. I'm loving using Live but dont have a musical background and dont at this point produce. Its a great application but I feel theres so much I'm missing and my lack of experience is limiting the wat I look at it.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:03 pm

keyword: EX-PE-RI-MENT

it came easy for nobody. just practice, spend countless hours, do some listening and reading. there are thousands of good posts on this forum.

nobody can learn the software for you man, you'll have to do it yourself!

djsynchro

DJ tips

Post by djsynchro » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Here are some of my random thoughts I've collected over the years...

- If you've got all the girls dancing, usually all the guys will be on the dancefloor too, so then you've got everybody dancing.

- If only the guys are dancing and (almost) no girls, you're playing too hard.

- Don't have your head in your decks/CDJs/laptop all the time, you steer the crowd (if all goes well) but in a magical mystical way the crowd steers you, and tells you what your next tune will be, have your feelers out constantly for what they want... harder? faster? slower? deeper? and let it help decide what to play next.

- Try not to think to much, go on instinct, browse through your tunes and one will "present itself". Knowning your tunes really well helps with this process.

- At big parties I will usually start with 3 killer tracks so: Everyone notices the DJ change, they're all dancing, you got yourself feeling confident, and you take it from there.

Hope that's helpful.

PS - Even when you get 99.9% of the people dancing there might be someone who will tell you that you were crap, or not a real DJ because you play with Ableton etc etc etc. ignore :-)

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Cut your tracks into shorter clips - the build, the breakdown, etc.
Make some loops of good bits as seperate clips.
Then trigger manually. Congrats, you're now surpassing the traditional DJ thing, you're remixing on stage.

...And practice before you go on a stage.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:51 pm

i will only mention my stuff once. YOU are my competition!

j/k...kindof.

i have BCR2000.

spread across return channels: filter delay (3 in 1!), filter, reverb, redux, autopan, saturator, filter.

each regular channel: filter,
two of regular channels : B repeater + ping pong each.

i have on/off and almost complete control over every single thing.
I use one button, with Bomes', to send a set of many paramters and values for each to a device, with that button on incremental mode in the BCR, and for every increment or press, a new set of parameters is sent to my live [whatever].

having every knob of a beat repeater mapped, is impractical, i dont have enough knobs on the BCR. but having homeade presets triggered by one BCR button, and two buttons - one on/off on toggle and one on/off to momentary, and the power is opened.

let me tell you brotha, the BCR is far from basic, and can do some wild wild shit. just gotta get creative with programming it, and get into Bomes/ PLogue Bidule.

creative BCR example: you got a knob set to a send, right? use an encoder on the top row, and set the push function of the same encoder to the same paramters. set mode to toggle off. set high value to 100 or 127. pressing this down and releasing, you can rythmically send your track to the FX return more easily than turning the knob fast and pulling it down.

using multiple tracks you can "play drums" sending them to an FX track.

speaking of, do you have feedback for a delay mapped? u should.

ive said enough.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

inis

Post by inis » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:09 am

Dodge wrote:
inis wrote:I know you would "appreciate" someone handing you an answer. But honestly, I dont have the time, ive already explained it to like 3 other fucking people today.

Fuck you retard, dont read the post if it bothers you that much, its not as though you didnt know what its about. :D
Tell you what dodge, how about I write a book that tells you exactly how to DJ with live just like everyone else is doing it. Then you can pay be $20, give it a read, and sit in your room pretending you are as good as everyone else. When in reality, your just another jerk-off that thought this software would make their life easier because they wouldnt have to beat match their records anymore. You are just another hack hoping someone on this board will hand you a bag of ableton gold.

Sasha

Post by Sasha » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:18 am

Get over yourself, inis.

If you "don't have the time", then just shut the fuck up and don't post.
Your drivel is useless, annoying, depressing, and pathetic, all in one big vain package.

So either remember to take your fucking medication before you log on to the ableton.com forum, or simply stop contributing. Heh, i make it sound like you ever contributed anything useful in the first place. Silly me.

Dodge,
Thank you for enabling ass kiss mode. But I am afraid to say it doesn't work on Inis because Inis is nothing more than a giant ass anyway. Or at the very least he can't stop making an ass of himself in public.