The Little List of Tips and Tricks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Nick the Zombie

Re: The Little List of Tips and Tricks

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Apologies for the links to my site that were broken - it's all fixed now that I have my permalinks working properly.

transology

Post by transology » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Tone Deft wrote:"Hack lyrics into the Ableton Live lessons area."
Any ideas to make it happen in Live 8 ? That'a great tool !!
OS X - L8

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:39 pm

transology wrote: Any ideas to make it happen in Live 8 ? That'a great tool !!
I don't know how to do this in Live 8, but what you can do that is pretty nice is to drag .png images into Live as video! So, if you convert .pdfs into .pngs you can place the pages on the timeline and view them in a video window. Pretty snazzy because you get automatic page-turning.

-Luddy

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm

luddy wrote:
I don't know how to do this in Live 8, but what you can do that is pretty nice is to drag .png images into Live as video! So, if you convert .pdfs into .pngs you can place the pages on the timeline and view them in a video window. Pretty snazzy because you get automatic page-turning.

-Luddy
ooooooooo i like that idea, would be nice for tracking drums and such like "GO CRAZY MOTHER FUCKER!" so my drummer knows when to go bonkers on his drumset

transology

Post by transology » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 pm

+1
outershpongolia wrote:
luddy wrote:

-Luddy
ooooooooo i like that idea, would be nice for tracking drums and such like "GO CRAZY MOTHER FUCKER!" so my drummer knows when to go bonkers on his drumset
OS X - L8

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:02 am

outershpongolia wrote: ooooooooo i like that idea, would be nice for tracking drums and such like "GO CRAZY MOTHER FUCKER!" so my drummer knows when to go bonkers on his drumset
wow, your drummer can read?

-Luddy

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 am

luddy wrote:
outershpongolia wrote: ooooooooo i like that idea, would be nice for tracking drums and such like "GO CRAZY MOTHER FUCKER!" so my drummer knows when to go bonkers on his drumset

-Luddy
oh shittt, plan has failed miserably.. I guess i'll just have to slap him on the back of the neck when I want to change parts like I did before..

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 am

outershpongolia wrote:
luddy wrote:

-Luddy
oh shittt, plan has failed miserably.. I guess i'll just have to slap him on the back of the neck when I want to change parts like I did before..
you can load .jpg's into video tracks as well. so maybe you can put in pictures of an ape beating on something, and then later the same ape chilling out with a banana (that's just an example).

-Luddy

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:47 pm

A picture of the drummers girlfriend in bed with the bassist (with them both smiling and waving at the camera) works well for us...
ImageImage

peter181

Post by peter181 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:12 am

maybe mentioned before but this just made my 3am:

turn on the headphone preview button in a midi clip, set another midi track to get input from that one, hit record on it, and when you drag to select different groups of notes with the mouse it will get recorded. cool way to turn aimless f*king around into recorded improvisation.

bistones2010

Post by bistones2010 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 am

so many! i think i should come to the forum as ofen as possible, maybe in this group i can learn many musics i have not known before.

auto-lock

Post by auto-lock » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 pm

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 19&start=0
glitchrock-buddha wrote:So for some reason I've never loved drag lock on mac trackpad, I just found it to be a lot of tapping and untapping, so I thought I'd try it without lock on and I finally decided to take a look at the three and four finger gestures again. I never much cared about the three finger thing because it was always on 'swipe to navigate', but I now noticed that it has an option for dragging as well. Turns out this is pretty awesome. So much quicker, locking isn't necessary, and also it allows you to not only move windows around and drag over menu items like you would with drag lock, but also it lets you adjust parameters in ableton with quick swiping like you can with two finger scrolling on many plug-ins. Pretty awesome when doing many minor adjustments and sound design.

That was one thing I still didn't love about the trackpad, but now there's so much less tapping required, it's fantastic. I highly suggest the maccers try it out.

:mrgreen:

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 pm

One thing I had always been missing in Live was a per-track peak level indicator. Frustratingly, not even Spectrum had that. Well turns out there is one, it's just not visible by default. Drag the divider between Send Section and Mixer Section upward in Clip View, and there it is! Not available in Arrangement View though, apparently. Drag it up even further and you get a numeric value for the track volume. Another thing I'd been missing sorely. This is saved in the project, so be sure to update your default template.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:23 am

Whoa - good find.