The Little List of Tips and Tricks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hectory2k

Re: text to speech tool roundup

Post by hectory2k » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Hello friends, I Have read this article about the reverb effect

Code: Select all

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/theoryofreverb/index.html
Cheers from Argentina
Hector

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:38 pm

glitchy cutup vocals the phat way:

1. take the whole vocal take, and load it into sampler. set a ton of different zones with different cue points. try to be as random as possible, like halfway through a word or whatever. keep little clusters where the cue points are close (like different words in a line). you will need about 20-30 of these zones.

2. add a midi arp, and set 6 steps of +1 semitone. use 1/16 quantize and swing it.

3. experiment with holding different notes near the bottom of your zones. try using two adjacent notes, two far away, etc... before you know it you will find a SICK cutup vocal groove. record the midi and off you go.

4. it is a good idea to rack your sampler and then copy it to another chain. put a pitch plugin at +36 semitones. no arp here... use this to go back and forth with the arp. like if your arp ends on one sample and then you want to repeat it... that sort of stuff. between the arp riffs and your own midi edited riffs you will have glitchy cutups in no time.

5. for bonus points, mess with the rate and sync on your arp.

fun!

<3

d
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

That those sound sick and... phat!

Still waiting for Abes to come up with a 7 to Suite upgrade though, no Sampler for me. :(

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

djgroovy wrote:That those sound sick and... phat!

Still waiting for Abes to come up with a 7 to Suite upgrade though, no Sampler for me. :(
You know you can just buy Sampler, right?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
djgroovy wrote:That those sound sick and... phat!

You know you can just buy Sampler, right?
I know i could if i had the money... anyway, much better value going for the suite.

But this is THE tips & tricks thread, so let's shut up about that! :wink:

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:59 am

The Phat Conductor wrote:glitchy cutup vocals the phat way:

1. take the whole vocal take, and load it into sampler. set a ton of different zones with different cue points. try to be as random as possible, like halfway through a word or whatever. keep little clusters where the cue points are close (like different words in a line). you will need about 20-30 of these zones.

2. add a midi arp, and set 6 steps of +1 semitone. use 1/16 quantize and swing it.

3. experiment with holding different notes near the bottom of your zones. try using two adjacent notes, two far away, etc... before you know it you will find a SICK cutup vocal groove. record the midi and off you go.

4. it is a good idea to rack your sampler and then copy it to another chain. put a pitch plugin at +36 semitones. no arp here... use this to go back and forth with the arp. like if your arp ends on one sample and then you want to repeat it... that sort of stuff. between the arp riffs and your own midi edited riffs you will have glitchy cutups in no time.

5. for bonus points, mess with the rate and sync on your arp.

fun!

<3

d
just curious - for step 1 why didnt you slice? You know you can save a preset in the default folder to slice straight to Sampler?

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:28 am

i like setting the cue points manually. i find i get a lot more use out of fewer, really choice cut points, than i do out of a whole wackload of auto cue points.

personal preference really.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:33 am

The Phat Conductor wrote:i like setting the cue points manually. i find i get a lot more use out of fewer, really choice cut points, than i do out of a whole wackload of auto cue points.

personal preference really.
you can slice to warp markers

the only reason I ask really is I've been doing what you described a lot but using the slicer

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 am

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 am

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:48 am

how to get red wine out of a silk carpet.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85855
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

tonyp145

Re: vinyl/granular style sample mashing with simpler.

Post by tonyp145 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi, I'm having trouble duplicating what you did, even after studying the Live set you posted. In particular, I'm not sure how to draw an automation ramp, is that something you do in the Session view or Arrangement? I swear I've tried to follow your directions step-by-step, but I'm just not getting it. Are you sure all the instructions are accurate?

I appreciate your help with this, this would be a huge capability for me, I've been looking for something like this, so I hope someone can help me get it. Thanks.

Tony

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 pm

tonyp145 wrote:Hi, I'm having trouble duplicating what you did, even after studying the Live set you posted. In particular, I'm not sure how to draw an automation ramp, is that something you do in the Session view or Arrangement? I swear I've tried to follow your directions step-by-step, but I'm just not getting it. Are you sure all the instructions are accurate?

I appreciate your help with this, this would be a huge capability for me, I've been looking for something like this, so I hope someone can help me get it. Thanks.

Tony
Please make a new thread for that, this thread is for posting tips & tricks.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:10 am

djgroovy wrote:
tonyp145 wrote:Hi, I'm having trouble duplicating what you did, even after studying the Live set you posted. In particular, I'm not sure how to draw an automation ramp, is that something you do in the Session view or Arrangement? I swear I've tried to follow your directions step-by-step, but I'm just not getting it. Are you sure all the instructions are accurate?

Tony
Please make a new thread for that, this thread is for posting tips & tricks.
and besides - what tip is he talking about??? 8O

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:08 am

a thread with some tips on setting tempo changes, cause it's kinda fuct.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... cfdeb8b7b4
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz