Mashup and Remix question.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
beardedone

Mashup and Remix question.

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:46 pm

What is the difference? And if there is a difference could someone please describe how they done.

Thanks,
Gordon

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:53 pm

The answer lies in a magic book. Commonly referred to as "the dictionary" :wink:

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:57 pm

You're kidding. My Oxford does not have these terms. They are recent jtechnical terms. More than a definition I need some idea of what the techniques are.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:03 pm

Update your oxford dude :wink:

A mash-up is basically a mix of two tracks. Playing together in sync.

A remix is a different version of a track.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks man! Are there any tutorials about?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:08 pm

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:12 pm

Very cool! I will read up and see what all the fuss is. I keep seeing these terms and was curious to know what they are about. I was hoping for a Live specific tutorial, though. The one for Tracktion is probably OK but I really hate using Tracktion.

Cheers,
Gordon

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:35 pm

You were looking in the wrong place.

You'll find 'mash-up' (and half of my set!) in the dictionary under 'overused cheese'...

Any monkey can stick a beat behind an acapella, but quality remixes actually require a fair amount of talent.
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 pm

I don't know about that. The whole thing is a mystery to me. Messing with audio is a big PITA. I'd rather work with midi any day.

See ya,
Gordon

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:47 pm

The so-called "mashup" phenomenon is lame - don't waste your time on it. It's an overused and burned out trick that's cool the first time you hear it and then it's old. Orbital did it '93 with Halcyon and On and On (one of my top ten best tracks ever) and it was new and breakthrough, way before anyone had ever started the term "mashup." But now it's just been done before. Stick to original tracks or remixes that use mostly new material and -creatively- use parts from the remixed track. Check out the groups Rabbit in the Moon and The Orb for some really creative remixes. The idea is to make something new with something old, don't just play the whole vocal unchanged over a new beat. My 2 cents...

beardedone

Post by beardedone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:58 pm

I hear you Scott. Seems like like your right too.

Cheers,
Gordon

Tommy_B

Post by Tommy_B » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:21 pm

scottorlans wrote:The so-called "mashup" phenomenon is lame - don't waste your time on it. It's an overused and burned out trick that's cool the first time you hear it and then it's old. Orbital did it '93 with Halcyon and On and On (one of my top ten best tracks ever) and it was new and breakthrough, way before anyone had ever started the term "mashup." But now it's just been done before. Stick to original tracks or remixes that use mostly new material and -creatively- use parts from the remixed track. Check out the groups Rabbit in the Moon and The Orb for some really creative remixes. The idea is to make something new with something old, don't just play the whole vocal unchanged over a new beat. My 2 cents...
Amen my brother!

AardasS

Post by AardasS » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:41 am

Sorry guys, have to disagree - Mashups are not lame! Let me explain by answering the original question - the difference between a Mashup, and a remix.

Actually, what you meant to ask is whats the difference between a remix, a re-edit and a mashup. A remix is when the original components of a song (taken from the recording masters) are put together with different components to create a different version of the same song, usually with recording company approval. A re-edit is where you take one song and try to do the same, but without access to the masters - this is normally done by producers who want access to the originals, and so will knock out a re edit to show what it's going to sound like.
A Mashup on the other hand is where you take a well known bassline (or two) and blend another well known vocal track over the top to create something which is hopefully better than the original 2 tracks ever were. They always sound a bit "lame" because they were made in some no talent hacks' bedroom using whatever 64k MP3 snippets they could download to stitch together, rather than the masters. They tend to kill unforgiving dancefloors because they get to the chorus and then break off into something totally whack or out of tune, and are phenomenally difficult to mix smoothly, especially without a computer.

But to say that mashups are lame is missing the point altogether. Mashing up on the fly, constantly adding loops and creating songs and melodies in realtime is an incredibly powerful way of mixing - on your next quiet night drop in some good mashups, and watch people stop conversations as they try to figure out whats going on. You won't fill the dancefloor but they definately won't walk out either - and if you want to hear something truly creative (instead of what has been listed above!) have a listen to 2 Many DJ's and you'll have an idea of what can be acheived.

The trouble is that there are so many lame mashups out there that someone was bound to label "Mashups" as lame, without realising that "Mashups" is as much a musical genre as Scratching is! You are doing yourself a disservice owning a copy of live and using it to only play tracks from start to finish - grab a few acapellas and have a play, I'm sure Grandmaster Flash would approve :wink:
Don't do anything I wouldn't do. But if you do, then name it after me!

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:50 am

Yeah I undertand what a mashup is but I still think it's a lame overused trick. I just dislike the whole concept. Oooo, this part of this track can go wth that track... wow! It's been done, and it's been done well. Mixing it up in a live situation is something else all together. Mixing is all about overlapping and crossfading complimentary tracks. But what most people call mashups are individual songs made up of parts of two or more other songs released as finished produced tracks, not mixing it up on the fly...
Scott Orlans (a.k.a. SEO)
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records
www.DownTimeProductions.com

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:16 am

mashups are the gayest things that ever happened to dance music.whenever i hear a dj playing one i want to kick him in the face.well not reall ,but they are really killing dance music.the only people i ever see really enjoying mashups are the dorks who dont know quality house music.there isnt a bit of talent there what so ever.