"Magic Send" - fades out track while fading in FX!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Airbase

Re: "Magic Send" - fades out track while fading in FX!

Post by Airbase » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Edit: Figured things out, nevermind :)
Last edited by Airbase on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live Live.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:10 pm

edit: damn you! :P
Last edited by henry ford on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:39 pm

this might not suit you , but you could also try this

put whatever piece of music you want to do this with in a track with its audio set to SENDS ONLY , send it to SEND A , which in your case should have a delay set to 100% wetness.

now , on another track , set its audio input to AUDIO FROM SEND A....
and arm the track

now launch the music , and start recording at the same time. let the whole track play out , you should make sure that the piece of music you want to delay will automatically stop when it reaches the end , rather than looping.

the recording will last a bit longer , since its being delayed...so wait till it goes to complete silence before you stop it from recording.

now , set the first track with the 'dry' music to AUDIO TO MASTER , and turn the knob to send A back to zero.......now set the dry music to the A side of the crossfader , and the delayed track to the B side........and set the crossfader to the left......launch both clips simultaniously....now whenever you want to go to delay , just bring the crossfader to the right....and snap it back to the left to taste............really , just mess around with this kind of stuff........thats how i do it

nolus

Post by nolus » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:27 am

to henry ford

I tried to send you an email with a small als file in case you had it set up worng, But thanks to stupidity and bad eyesight I managed to send it to ben_blue by mistake. (yhr pm and email icons are at the bottom of each post not the top!)

ben_blue probly thinks I'm a bit mad now :)

pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

I really must set myself up with a web site.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:45 am

bump for the mad tip

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:03 am

womoma wrote:bump for the mad tip
Which mad tip? Doesn't live 6 allow you to map a controller to the line fader AND a send on the same channel with one knob?

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah but you might now always want to do it that way.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:54 am

OK... the 'Magic Sends' rack as created by Nolus and updated by Clearscreen can be found here..

http://www.u-freqs.com/magicsends.zip
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

jasper

Post by jasper » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 pm

ohhhh.....

no words for how simple and
awesome this is.

jasper

Re:

Post by jasper » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Patch wrote:
womoma wrote:bump for the mad tip
Which mad tip? Doesn't live 6 allow you to map a controller to the line fader AND a send on the same channel with one knob?
Yes you can map two params to the same incoming controller..BUT...
this 'mad tip' does: "Track's Send knob goes UP, and Track's Fader Volume goes DOWN simultaneously".
The audible result is that the Fader goes down while its Send goes up,
even though the fader isn't actually moving.
It happens because the phase is inverted on Send A, thereby cancelling out the
sum of the Track and what's going into Send A.

It's actually brilliant.

I'm slightly wary of trusting it completely since it relies on phase cancellation,
but it works.

sexface

Post by sexface » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Just posted a tutorial about this, check it out if you are interested!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=149970

Let me know if you have any questions.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

I've just getting into Cliphx. Here's the thing: now that routing can be changed with outboard gear, what's the harm in going back to the more self-evident approach, namely to switch the output of a channel to sends only? Are the magic sends trick and Sends Only output literally the audible equivalent of each other? Do you suspect I'll have some volume problems when swapping the routing? I bet I'll have some audio drop-out problems, switching routing while playback. But who know? If the signal processing on my return tracks is already being applied, that is the devices are on and they're already a signal, the jump to Sends Only shouldn't pose a CPU spike, we'll see. I'll report the answer to these questions as they come in, but maybe you want to put in your impressions. I'm making a Cliphx script for this in my studio today to give it a test.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Ah, overlooked some basic things. Using the sends is really the more elegant way to go. Why?
Because if you had already moved the sends feed up then you'd be defeating the purpose of keeping consistent levels. Then when you knocked out the original channel, you'd bump the levels back down as you listened to them only through the sends.
More fundamentally, when it comes to drop outs, you'd have a bigger chance of getting a drop out routing the output to Sends Only than using a utility in reverse phase as a through signal. If you change the routing and none of your returns are giving signal or your channel is not already sending to the returns, you'll definitely get a drop out. But with magic sends, if they're no signal processing to be had when you move the sends 100%, you'll still get the unaffected signal. You can always send the phase inverted return into your other Returns of choice, in your own time, without risking an audio drop out. Without even trying to program CliphX to make up for this, I can safely say this trick is definitely still very relevant and is the better way to go.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Have you ever played with the Crossfader trick? You set a Send to "Pre", then assign the crossfader A to any channel that you want to use the effect on. Assign B to the Return Channels that will run the effect. Set your crossfader to A, and have your Send amounts turned up all the way (or less if necessary). Whenever you swing your crossfader over to B, it goes completely wet.

The only downside to this is that you now ignore the level settings of each channel : /

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, use the x-fade a/b thing. Like both options. The x-fade is really its own routing trick, the way I use it is for more gradual transitions out of an effected signal.