How do YOU achieve "groove" using Live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:02 am

if u make a nice funky chunky groove just save it as clip or midi file. then the next time u make a beat its just a question of either replacin the sounds or move the actual notes around maybe ad a little extra. make a folder named GRRRROOOOOVESS in your browser to save all your favorite grooves..

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:44 pm

crytek wrote: it's all about planning ahead. If you are preforming on stage.. then prepare all your files before hand.

Problem solved
No, problem NOT solved. :x There's still a BIG problem!

How am I supposed to prepare something I play on the fly? So, let's say I record an audio clip of an acoustic guitar in time with the groove from a currently playing rythm clip - easy enough, it's human timing working to human timing.

Then, I want to introduce a different rythm clip that has a totally different groove?

How exactly do you prepare a clip that I recorded all of 10 seconds ago? You can't.
HOWEVER:

If I had the ability to record the guitar riff to the groove of a rythm clip, and Live had the ability to "understand" the rythmic groove offset of that base rythm clip, I could introduce a totally different groove by triggering a new rythm clip - and Live should be able to automatically warp the recently recorded guitar riff to match.

...And it doesn't have to be a guitar - could be a non-midi vintage synth, could be a clarinet, beatboxing, turntablism, singing, live congas, whatever.

My point is, you can only do this if you could assign one channel to be your "groove master" to apply to all other channels.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

crytek

Post by crytek » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:07 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:
crytek wrote: it's all about planning ahead. If you are preforming on stage.. then prepare all your files before hand.

Problem solved
No, problem NOT solved. :x There's still a BIG problem!

How am I supposed to prepare something I play on the fly? So, let's say I record an audio clip of an acoustic guitar in time with the groove from a currently playing rythm clip - easy enough, it's human timing working to human timing.

Then, I want to introduce a different rythm clip that has a totally different groove?

How exactly do you prepare a clip that I recorded all of 10 seconds ago? You can't.
HOWEVER:

If I had the ability to record the guitar riff to the groove of a rythm clip, and Live had the ability to "understand" the rythmic groove offset of that base rythm clip, I could introduce a totally different groove by triggering a new rythm clip - and Live should be able to automatically warp the recently recorded guitar riff to match.

...And it doesn't have to be a guitar - could be a non-midi vintage synth, could be a clarinet, beatboxing, turntablism, singing, live congas, whatever.

My point is, you can only do this if you could assign one channel to be your "groove master" to apply to all other channels.

Hey calm down man :lol:

Can't expect live to be perfect. NO sequencer is.
"Procrastionation is a lot like masturbation. It's fun while you're doing it, but in the end, you're just screwing yourself" - Remix mag editors

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 am

crytek wrote: Hey calm down man :lol:

Can't expect live to be perfect. NO sequencer is.
But does that mean we shouldn't try to strive for perfection?

I mean, if there's some way that the sequencer can be improved, why not ask for it?

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

I.AM.AN.EXIT

Post by I.AM.AN.EXIT » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:50 pm

erm, am I missing something here...

When I want groove on a track, I change the groove amount, up beside the BPM.

Usually I like to use the groove at around 20 - 25, then change the swing timing on all clips and loops to "Swing 16" or "Swing 32" in the clip view window.

This gives a nice groove without going into full on shuffle territory.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:09 pm

but that is just swing, i think MB is talking about matching a human groove, not a machine induced swing function.

t-dizzle

cbit

Post by cbit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:25 pm

crytek wrote:Do you're homework man.
When telling someone to do their homework, make sure you spell 'your' correctly ;)

[edited to remove my typos ;) ]
Last edited by cbit on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:53 pm

cbit wrote:
crytek wrote:Do you're homework man.
When telling someonw to do their homework, make youre you spell 'your' correctly ;)

:) :P
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.