Track Volumes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dodge

Track Volumes

Post by Dodge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:56 pm

I understand from reading this forum that many people who DJ using Live have Compressor 2 on the master output to limit the overall volume and reduce clipping. Is is possible to put a Compressor on each individual track as all of my audio files are at different volumes. I have been starting to use the cross fader and as such you cant see the level of the channel you are mixing in until you start to move the cross fader and actually fade it in. Just wondered how other people handled it. I understand that you can adjust the individual sample volume in clip view but this is of course very time consuming!

Thanks in advance.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:30 pm

you could send your 2 audio channels to 2 sends and cross fade between the sends instead - youd be able to see the volume levels on the original audio tracks ??!

wavejumper

fader

Post by wavejumper » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:46 pm

only briefly tried dj'ing with live but they way i'd approach this is the same as with a conventional decks/mixer scenario, set the volume of the track your are monitoring with the headphones half way though, and just subtly use the fader to bring it into the mix to see what's it like, fade it out, adjust the level then until you get what you need (depends weather you want to smootly fade in or do quick cuts). hope this helps.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:06 pm

if you cue the track then mute it, the volume levels will bounce around.... bit of a pain having to mute and unmute but it works.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!