[Tip] Looping with Mackie Control emulation!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29 am

Sure. I use Undo, Show/Hide Browser, Show/Hide Clip View, and Toggle Clip/Track View, then have everything else that's non-Mackie on my controller set to send on a channel other than 1. If you're using a keyboard controller, set the keyboard to send on another channel & restrict yr MIDI instrument track in session view to accept only that MIDI channel.

Franky

Help needed

Post by Franky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi, I'm trying to get a FCB 1010 to work with Live 5.2, on a G5, midi interface is an AMT 8, the FCB is on Midi in/out 8.
I never programmed any midi device before, so I'm struggling with the understanding of the FCB, and then I'm trying to understand the concept of using the FCB in Mackie emulation mode...
Could someone give me a walkthrough, for the absolute beginner, at least in listing the Midi Prefs in Lives Pref. Panel?

Any help is appreciated.
I downloaded several helper apps, Midipipe, control aid, midi stroke... wouldn't mind if I could reach my goals without them.
I'm also thinking about changing the eprom on the FCB which I guess may be outdated.

Regards, Frank

drjonez

Post by drjonez » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:29 am

everything is working swimmingly on my fcb.

only complaint? no DELETE CLIP function... I prefer this over the UNDO

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:10 pm

The padKONTROL also makes for a very nice Mackie Control device (it's buttons don't produce audible clicks!), but you need to know that e.g. an A5 in the Yamaha world (Mackie Control for "stop") translates to an A6 in the Korg world.

So, if you want a "stop" key, set NOTE/CC# to A6, MIDI CH to 1, and VELOCITY to 127.

Again, a program like MidiPipe helps a lot. (See http://homepage.mac.com/nicowald/SubtleSoft/ and http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=14379)
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:32 am

does the mackie control have any 'free' cc's or midi notes (user defined)?
or is it possible to somehow disable certain commands so those numbers can be assigned to other things?

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:does the mackie control have any 'free' cc's or midi notes (user defined)?
or is it possible to somehow disable certain commands so those numbers can be assigned to other things?
I'm not sure what you mean by "the mackie control" but the answer is yes for both the Mackie Control protocol and the Mackie Control Universal controller.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:46 pm

sorry, i mean the protocol. Im using the FCB1010 & want to have my cake & eat it....i would like to use the navigation & firing capabilities of the MCP but would also like to have some of the pads freely assignable to other things. So my question is, what cc numbers/midi notes arent used and/or how can i 'rewire' or change the default MCP mapping?

EDIT: I think Ive found a way round it, managed to locate the full list so can see what's free & what's not.
Cheers

vip32

Post by vip32 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:08 pm

is this the tutorial you mean?
http://thecovertoperators.groc.org/down ... ial_v1.zip
cannot reach it now, is it still online? great work btw!

edit: ok got the file, reachable now

one question though, do i have to enable the mackie stuff in live (in 'options')?

vip32

Post by vip32 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:38 am

yes you have to enable macki mode in live, but it works great!

tripiale

BCF tempalte

Post by tripiale » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Any on e has the BCF2000 preset to upload in my unit to run ti in Macki mode but without using the MC e ultion but running the unit in BC01?

THabnks

plase send it to tripiale@hotmail.com

Vlex

Re: BCF tempalte

Post by Vlex » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:25 pm

tripiale wrote:Any on e has the BCF2000 preset to upload in my unit to run ti in Macki mode but without using the MC e ultion but running the unit in BC01?

THabnks

plase send it to tripiale@hotmail.com
I would love this one, because then i can use my footswitch again :)

studiesinsound

Scroll Full Left?

Post by studiesinsound » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi,

Great thread. This all works very well for me except 1 thing.
I am using and FCB 1010 pedal and using the mackie control for looping.
Is there a way using mackie control to immediately get back to Track 1?
What I mean is, I have 1 button set for Launch Scene, and another for Scroll Right.
So after recording many layers in scene 1, I have now scrolled pretty far to the right, let's say I'm now on track20
Is there a value I can use so at the push of 1 button I am returned to Track1.
I can use scroll left, but I have to push and hold. It would be nice to just have 1 push button on the FCB1010 bring me back to Track1 instantaneously.

Any ideas?

Thanks for thread!!!

studiesinsound

Correction

Post by studiesinsound » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Ooops.
Make that read, 1 button to LaunchClip, 1 Button to scroll Right.
Sorry for any confusion.

:roll:

Michael Hatsis

Re: Scroll Full Left?

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:09 pm

studiesinsound wrote:Hi,

Great thread. This all works very well for me except 1 thing.
I am using and FCB 1010 pedal and using the mackie control for looping.
Is there a way using mackie control to immediately get back to Track 1?
What I mean is, I have 1 button set for Launch Scene, and another for Scroll Right.
So after recording many layers in scene 1, I have now scrolled pretty far to the right, let's say I'm now on track20
Is there a value I can use so at the push of 1 button I am returned to Track1.
I can use scroll left, but I have to push and hold. It would be nice to just have 1 push button on the FCB1010 bring me back to Track1 instantaneously.

Any ideas?

Thanks for thread!!!

You can assign a MIDI note to Select Track 1( not via Mackie Controll ). havent tried it yet but assign one of the buttons on your fcb1010 to a random MIDI note, sending out on any channel other than channel 1. then manually assign this button in Live to select Track 1.

studiesinsound

Re: Scroll Full Left?

Post by studiesinsound » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:02 pm

[quote="mike@TrackTeam Audio"]

You can assign a MIDI note to Select Track 1( not via Mackie Controll ). havent tried it yet but assign one of the buttons on your fcb1010 to a random MIDI note, sending out on any channel other than channel 1. then manually assign this button in Live to select Track 1.[/quote]

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. That would work, however the fcb1010 can only send Midi Notes on 1 Channel. You set the Midi Note Channel Globally. So I need to have it set to Channel 1 to utilize the Mackie Control.

But I think I found another solution. I'm on a MAC and based on some posts in this forum I downloaded MidiStroke. A small application which translates a midi command into 1 or more keyboard commands. So I set the number 1 on the keyboard to select track 1 in Ableton. Then using MidiNote number 111 on one of the buttons on the FCB1010, which I beleive is an unused note by Mackie, I can use MidiStroke to translate MidiNote 111 on Channel 1 to the number 1 on the keyboard and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the reply though You were on the rich track.
It'd be nice if the FCB1010 could use more than 1 Channell for Midi Notes but oh well!