Guitarist needs hands-free way to use Session View

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gfea

Guitarist needs hands-free way to use Session View

Post by gfea » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:25 pm

Hello all you sexy Live users all over this weird, wonderful Earth,

First a disclaimer: I'm not a newbie, and yes, I did research this topic before posting.

That said, I have scoured this forum and the Live manual looking for a way to get Live to automatically advance to the next clip while recording on a track in Session view- am I missing something? Here's what I'm up to:

Say I come up with a cool riff or chord on my guitar, and I want to make a one- or two-bar Clip. I'm not a master guitar player, and I like slight variations, so I want to record 10 or 15 Clips in a row, without taking my hands off the guitar. Then, I could play them all back with the rest of a song and delete the ones that suck. How could I set up Live to automatically advance to the next Clip and keep recording, and do it according to a set value (such as "1 Bar") without using MIDI control?

I read the Vernon Reid article about him loving Live, as well as several other guitarists and people in guitar-driven bands. I know I could get a footswitch and use it to advance to the next clip according to the Global Quantization, but I currently do not own a MIDI foot controller.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. You guys are the best!

Best, giantflesheatingant
Asus P4 3.2GHz 1GB Dual Channel RAM
M-Audio Delta 66/ OmniStudio
Live 5.0.2 - Reason 3.0.3 - Sound Forge 7
Edirol PCR-50 - Line 6 POD XT
Lots of cats - Inflatable Monkeys

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:08 am

I don't believe there is any way to auto advance to the next clip while you're recording. but if you record in arrangement you can then slice your track into tiny parts and consolidate them and then drop them into session view. or you could render the little parts to disk but consolidating is faster.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:09 am

oh yeah, and do get a midi foot pedal. I got mine at a used music shop for 50 bucks and I love what you can do with it and live. it's only got 5 switches but it'll do till I can afford something a little more beefy.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:30 am

definitely get the midi foot pedal. It's a really good thing for guitar-players.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ebenextra

trigger finger

Post by ebenextra » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:03 pm

Check out the m-audio trigger finger. I know it isn't a foot pedal but works fine as one. Plus then you can use it for other thing in the studio too
...silly rabbit ,leave the tricks for the cats!

octiliniu

Post by octiliniu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:37 pm

hey gfea,

could you post a link to that Vernon Reid article you're talking about ?
thanx a lot !
i will start a band.

gfea

Post by gfea » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:21 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone.

octiliniu, of course, now that you ask for it, I can't find that article! There's the one from Ableton ( http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=artists&sub=reid ), but it's too brief! I'll let you know if I find it.

-gfea
Asus P4 3.2GHz 1GB Dual Channel RAM
M-Audio Delta 66/ OmniStudio
Live 5.0.2 - Reason 3.0.3 - Sound Forge 7
Edirol PCR-50 - Line 6 POD XT
Lots of cats - Inflatable Monkeys

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:09 pm

You can set up midi clips this way, so maby there's a way to put a note in a midi clip and set the follow action to next. the next clip has another note. this note goes out and back in live, assigned to the recording button on different slots in an audio track.
you could use one big midi clip off course...can anybody think of a way to do this?

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:18 pm

Yes it works!!!!! create a midi clip with c3 for example on the 16th. now route this to the iac driver (on mac) and assign c3 using a keyboard to slot 1 on the audio track! now set up follow actions in the midi clips with different notes on eachin the first 16th. assign these to the following clips on the audio track. set the iac to remote. start the midi clip and voila!!!!! this way you can control live using the midi sequencing!!!! 8)

RavenMoon

Hands free Guitar scene recording with midi foot controller

Post by RavenMoon » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:47 pm

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=a ... kid-beyond

after seeing kid beyond's video.
I found a great solution to playing and recording guitar on the fly by using Live and Bome midi translator and a midi foot controller to group midi key strokes and midi assigned notes to Live's scene triggering on the right hand side.

1. right click a scene button and select trigger recording on launch
2. activate midi mapping by hitting midi at the top right of the interface
3. map the play button at the bottom of the scene rows to your midi foot controller pedal
4. activate key mapping and map keystrokes to scene advance arrow up and advance arrow down
5. group all these actions in Bome's midi translator to the midi pedal
6. now you should have the ability to record,play and advance scenes by hitting one pedal.

RavenMoon

auto_recording clips and scenes

Post by RavenMoon » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:39 pm

http://www.soulvisuals.com/music/auto_record.zip

"$Krishna"
/Krishna Consciouness..Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna
Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama
Rama Rama, Hare Hare

/

1. activate /trigger recording on launch/ by right clicking scene button on right side.
make sure /select scene on launch/ is also selected
2. right click on an empty midi clip window and select
/insert midi clip/
3.set the midi clip loop maker to 1 bar length if you want to record a 1 bar loop. set it to 4 bar length if you want 4 bars etc.
5. in the /preferences/misc//panel make sure /arm/ exclusive is /off/
6. arm recording on an audio track
7. arm recording on a midi track
8. click on a clip recording (circle in a clip slot) to record an empty audio track of 1 bar length.
9. press stop
10. double click on the empty audio clip and make sure its loop maker is 1 bar if you want to record a 1 bar loop. 4 bars if you want a 4 bar loop etc.
11. in the clip launch section at the bottom left look for /follow action/
12. make sure it is set to the number of bars you wish to record
13. hit the arrow under and select /next/ so that it will automatically follow this action after 1 bar of recording.
14. repeat the follow action steps to your empty midi clip.
15. select the scene 1 on the right side and use /ctrl shift d/ to duplicate the scenes.
16. duplicate the number of scenes you wish to record.

17. Thank Hare Krishna and repeat the chant above for divine inspiration for your music.

www.soulvisuals.com

RavenMoon

Auto clip and scene recording

Post by RavenMoon » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:42 pm

http://www.soulvisuals.com/music/auto_record.rar

"$Krishna"
/Krishna Consciouness..Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna
Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama
Rama Rama, Hare Hare

/

1. activate /trigger recording on launch/ by right clicking scene button on right side.
make sure /select scene on launch/ is also selected
2. right click on an empty midi clip window and select
/insert midi clip/
3.set the midi clip loop maker to 1 bar length if you want to record a 1 bar loop. set it to 4 bar length if you want 4 bars etc.
5. in the /preferences/misc//panel make sure /arm/ exclusive is /off/
6. arm recording on an audio track
7. arm recording on a midi track
8. click on a clip recording (circle in a clip slot) to record an empty audio track of 1 bar length.
9. press stop
10. double click on the empty audio clip and make sure its loop maker is 1 bar if you want to record a 1 bar loop. 4 bars if you want a 4 bar loop etc.
11. in the clip launch section at the bottom left look for /follow action/
12. make sure it is set to the number of bars you wish to record
13. hit the arrow under and select /next/ so that it will automatically follow this action after 1 bar of recording.
14. repeat the follow action steps to your empty midi clip.
15. select the scene 1 on the right side and use /ctrl shift d/ to duplicate the scenes.
16. duplicate the number of scenes you wish to record.

17. Thank Hare Krishna and repeat the chant above for divine inspiration for your music.

www.soulvisuals.com

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

I'd recommend a foot controller. If you don't have one get one. I have two Yamaha MFC10 and like them a lot. You can also use it to control a Pod.

Program two buttons: one to send note 97 which means "down" in Mackie Control protocol and one to send 100 which means "zoom". If your controller allows for it you can also put both notes on one button so that later you have to tap only once.

Go to the preferences dialog and set your midi in to be interpreted as Mackie Control.

Set global quantization to 1 bar or, if you have to catch an 1/4 note upbeat, to 1/4.

Arm a track for recording, click on the topmost slot and start recording by pressing your "zoom" button. Play your lick as long as it takes and then start a new recording pass by pressing "down" and then "zoom".

For more info see http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209819 and the Mackie Control section of the Live Manual.

If you're still reluctant to get yourself a foot controller :wink:: Nixons method should also work sending Mackie Control but since I'm on MacOS I have no idea how to set that up on a Windows machine.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:19 pm

P.S.: Sending both notes with one tap works with the MFC10.

JonCohenEx

Re: Guitarist needs hands-free way to use Session View

Post by JonCohenEx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Great question, actually to expand on that I'm wondering exactly how you would go about changing clips using a foot pedal? Is there a global "next clip" or "previous clip" function I can midi map my foot pedal to?