Pre-Listen to Tracks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
frostyfreeze100

Pre-Listen to Tracks

Post by frostyfreeze100 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:34 pm

Hey all,

Anybody out there know the answer to the following 2 Questions ????

(1) - In Live 5 when I click on a track in my folder, but don't drag it over onto a channel it will automatically play. When it does play I can't seem to stop it. Why does it play when I select it, and is there an option I can turn off ????

(2) - Is there anyway to pre-listen to a track before playing it, as you would on decks ???? I will have a percussion loop filtered playing with a song and place a song in the 3rd channel. How would I pre-listen to it without it playing to the crowd ????

Cheers in advance for any help or pointers.

Frostyfreeze - www.producersanddjs.com

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:05 pm

1 - there is a small headphone icon in the upper left corner of the browser. click this to toggle previewing of sounds in the browser

2 - you just need to have another audio out for cueing. then select this output for cueing in the master channel drop down routing box. set the cue/solo button to 'cue', and then you will have a headphone button on each track for previewing.

then use mute, channel fader, x-fader etc. to handle brining tracks in/out of the main mix

frostyfreeze100

Post by frostyfreeze100 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:32 pm

I have done (1) - But can't figure out (2). Any more simple stage distructions ;-) THANX

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:37 am

enable x-fader display (click small 'x' button to the right of the session view, near the master fader)

assign your current playing tracks to one side or the other, lets say 'A'

move the x-fader hard to the 'A' side

select the cue output audio channels in the master channel drop-down menu

make sure that 'cue' is selected in the master channel (not 'solo') (you will see headphone buttons on each track, not 'S' solo buttons)

assign the new track to 'B' side of the x-fader (for extra security, mute the track before bringing in the audio?)

drop your new song into this channel

press the new channel's cue button

hear the new track only in your headphones, and get everything how you want it

move the x-fader towards 'B' to mix in the new track

there are of course other ways to bring it in besides using the x-fader
*phew*

frostyfreeze100

Post by frostyfreeze100 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:55 am

Hey Longjohns

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything :-)

I can sort it all out apart from I can't find the - master channel drop-down menu ???? Looked @ all the buttosn to the right of the master output, but can't find how to change it from SOLO ???? I am probbly being proper DIM !!!!.

Cheers.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:12 pm

your cue out should be different from the master out. The drop-downs in question are *above* the master fader.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

frostyfreeze100

Post by frostyfreeze100 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks Machinate,

Here are my problems. I want the Pre-Listen/Cue to come out of my Laptop Audio, and LIVE 5 to come out via my Edirol PCR-1. In LIVE 5 I currently have the Audio setting to ASIO driver, which only gives me and out via the Edirol. If I change the ASIO to MME/Direct X then I have a choice of INPUT & OUTPUT deivce, but not a choice of setting 2 different outs (1 for CUEING and 1 for LIVE 5 PLAYING/DJing) Any ideas on this one ????

Also I can't see any drop-downs above the Master Fader. There is the MASTER Channel, Then 11 Scenes Below, Then STOP Clips Option, Then Sends, then Master Pan, Master Volume, SOLO (Which I can't highlight) and the headfone Icon, and lastly the X-Fader.

I will email you a SCREEN SHOT to show what I am seeing, and how it looks. I can't find the drop-down anywhere. I am using LIVE 5 BETA 7 if this heps ????

Cheers for the help so far, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mat.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:09 pm

frostyfreeze100 wrote: In LIVE 5 I currently have the Audio setting to ASIO driver, which only gives me and out via the Edirol. If I change the ASIO to MME/Direct X then I have a choice of INPUT & OUTPUT deivce, but not a choice of setting 2 different outs (1 for CUEING and 1 for LIVE 5 PLAYING/DJing) Any ideas on this one ????
Oh, then you need a driver that can incorporate the two different devices - Asio4All it's called - google it and search this forum for information about it - there's tons! Good luck!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:35 pm

yeah, you need to press the i-o button to the right, that will show you the drop-down menus... But you still need the asio4all driver in order to use both soundcards simultaneously.

:-)