Bidule for audio to midi in Live - notes and CC

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 am

I tried several things and got your older notes only version kinda working.

It was just kinda spitting out notes unrelated to anything else.

I would troubleshoot it more, but the plogue demo expired after just 3 days...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

conny

Post by conny » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Have you tried adding compression on the audio before it gets to Bidule?
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:59 pm

No, I'm not sure of how to do much in Bidule.

I want to be able to just sing simple monophonic tones and have Live record them to midi.

Would this solution be suitable for that?

If not, I was even thinking of springing for Logic (since you get so much more as well).

I have to do some more testing with Widi and Fiddle~ in PD, but was getting weird results with them as well.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:33 am

I'll have to try again when the demo gets updated...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm

always updated, search for "latest" in the forum.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:31 pm

Well I meant the demo.

I actually got some interesting results with Fiddle~ in PD.

There is one output type that constantly outputs at least 43 notes a second in whatever pitch you put in.

The other output puts out one short 'blip' at the attack of each new note.

If there was a way to make the 2nd output type send a constant note for the "gate" time of the current note and send the first output type to optionally constantly adjust pitchbend, I think that PD with Fiddle~ could make a useful tool for free with no overhead.

It's surprising how little information there is about these tools on the internet.

Is anyone interested in looking into this as a free/cross platform audio to midi solution?

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:08 am

Kodama wrote:Well I meant the demo.

I actually got some interesting results with Fiddle~ in PD.

There is one output type that constantly outputs at least 43 notes a second in whatever pitch you put in.

The other output puts out one short 'blip' at the attack of each new note.

If there was a way to make the 2nd output type send a constant note for the "gate" time of the current note and send the first output type to optionally constantly adjust pitchbend, I think that PD with Fiddle~ could make a useful tool for free with no overhead.

It's surprising how little information there is about these tools on the internet.

Is anyone interested in looking into this as a free/cross platform audio to midi solution?
this sounds kind of interesting, but you'd need to have a way to route the audio in/out from pd to live, or use 2 soundcards under windows, or the directx drivers (which have bad latency...). otherwise it *shouldn't* be too difficult... i say shouldn't as i only looked at PD for the first time two days ago so... the help file for fiddle is pretty good though...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 am

You just use an internal audio routing utlity, like SoundFlower or Jack, or asio4all.com.

You set Live's main outputs to 1/2 and send your controlling audio channel to External out 3 (for instance).

Then set PD's input to (the virtual audio routing software's) 3 and output midi information to Midi Yoke or IAC on Mac.

Then make a midi track in Live that receives IAC.

Download the Extended version of PD (http://puredata.info/) and check the help file for for fiddle.

Create and connect an audio input (Adc~ 3) to the first outlet on Fiddle and a makenote > noteout on the back end and you will get the same results.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Kodama wrote:You just use an internal audio routing utlity, like SoundFlower or Jack, or asio4all.com.
how d'you do this with asio4all? have you used jack on windows, and if so did it work well? theres also VAC (http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm) for internal routing on pc, but i have no idea what it's like...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:04 am

Well I'm on Mac now, I guess you would have to use VAC or Jack for Windows...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:01 pm

I'll take another look at the Bidule thingee when they refresh the demo.

In the meanwhile - I've moved discussion about doing this in PD to here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75703

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Kodama wrote:I'll take another look at the Bidule thingee when they refresh the demo.

In the meanwhile - I've moved discussion about doing this in PD to here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75703
i'm having a little look at the bidule stuff as well, and if i can figure anything out in PD i'll let you know. the PD/Max.MSP objects that you use ('fiddle' and 'bonk' respectively?) are based on http://aubio.piem.org/ and theres someone that made a bidule using it (seehttp://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2556) and i'm seeing if that can be made available...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:32 am

Cool!

Let me know if you get any results.

I wouldn't mind buying Bidule (or perhaps Max) in the future, but I just want to know that it works first :wink:

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 am

i gave up on max for now. the interface makes life at lot more difficult for the time being (until v5 comes out, which i think is next month...). PD's obviously the cheapest, but bidule isn't too far behind :lol:
it's a shame reaktor can't do this type of stuff... oh well - they'll add proper fft one day i guess.

as it is i can control the frequency of an oscillator using an fft in bidule with a guitar pretty well... i'll have more of a hack around with it when i get a chance, but if this guy comes good with the aubio based stuff it might make life a lot easier. have't had a proper chance to look at the pd option yet, but i dl'd jack for windows and i might put that on tonight and see how we go.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 am

Ya, just check my notes in the other thread and remember that in PD, you put objects, type in their name, and then they come to life, with ins & outs, etc..

Also, you have to set the audio prefs to make sure you are set for at least 4 inputs, etc...

Let us know what happens!