Rock Solid Live Warping Technique 101

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supster

Post by supster » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 pm

defunkt wrote:hi,supster,great site you have,i'll be checking the music out later,good tutorial for newcommers to get to grips with.im sure everyone has there own way ,but its great help for those who dont.was playing one of your old remixes last night=devo,satisfaction,great track,i aint been here in ages so i was inspired to come by and say hi,still got your mix of 4 to tha floor aswell.fantastic.bye

thanks! really glad people like that track it was fun to do

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

jonathanpduffy

Post by jonathanpduffy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 pm

I'm in the process of warping a HUGE quantity of hip hop tracks, ripped from a variety of sources...and I found this tutorial perfect. Even though Hip hop isn't always as straightforward as a 4 to the floor type beat, this method has worked perfectly for me for the last 50 or so tracks...and I'm getting pretty quick!

Many thanks...it's good to know that people out there are putting in the time!

J
PC Laptop & Intel Macbook, Presonus Firebox, Echo Indigo DJ, MPC 2500, Planet Phatt, Xiosynth, microX, Kontrol 49, Live 6, Reason 4, Guru, ASS Modeling Collection, Pro53, Oddity, Fender Telecaster, an old acoustic guitar, Some mics, my sister's voice...

missjade

yay.

Post by missjade » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:28 pm

thanks for being generous enough to help out people struggling with this process! :mrgreen:

i know it's pissed me off enough times for me to lose my inspiration :evil: now i'm breezing through most of my tracks with this method!

oh god, i sound like one of those infomercial testimonials... i'll shut up now :?

supster= knows what's up 8)

supster

Re: yay.

Post by supster » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 am

missjade wrote: i know it's pissed me off enough times for me to lose my inspiration :evil: now i'm breezing through most of my tracks

hahah ... well, i notice you leave out the fact that i taught you this before i ever put the tutorial up.

also, actually it was helping you out with it that inspired me to write it down, do the page and get it up online for everybody else. so i might not have done it at all if it werent for you

:) lol ...

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

missjade

:p

Post by missjade » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 pm

:oops:

well, if you wanna get technical mister... i was talking about the METHOD that helped me, not the tutorial :?

but i'm so psyched to have been demystified about the whole thing. don't give me credit for inspiring it, cos you went through the trouble of putting up the damn page! :mrgreen:

the most valuable part for me was: "Without warping properly the tracks will not beatmatch correctly: when you mix them together the beats will not 'lock' together, the tracks will sound 'off', you will 'trainwreck' your mix.

In other words, if you are mixing for people, they will start thinking you 'suck', they will become agitated and stop 'dancing', and some of them will laugh at you to their friends or even glare at you like they 'hate' you."

hahaha...

PS clicking warp markers all the time is bad for carpal tunnel :? :evil:

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:45 am

now someone has to create one tutorial for non dance tracks and for uncommon patterns (not 4/4)
btw, excellent tutorial, maybe sasha should read it ^^

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:39 pm

[quote="jms5881"]I never need to use the LOOP or metronome when warping. I simply line up the first beat (pretty much as shown) then correct the BPM (if it is wrong in the track box) then check to make sure the warp markers are lined up at the end.

[quote]

The beauty of this method is that it is detailed and somewhat of an overkill. Some people pick warping up quickly while others just don't seem to get it. If people can learn this method they can use the ideas to create their own warping style. Thanks Josh for taking the time to make this tutorial.

Personally, I let autowarp do its thing, put the 1.1.1 marker on the first beat (thing is never in the right place), go to the end of the track and adjust so things are in time. 90% of the time adjusting at the end will cause things at the beginning of the track to be in time. If not, make more adjustments.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm

I agree. I have great success with autowarp. Sometimes it needs a tweak or two, but autowarp has saved me many hundreds of hours of work.

I even got confident (stupid?) enough at the last gig to try warping on the fly... :?

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 pm

Nice one!

Small thingy I found:
For now set it the way I have mine set in Figure 14. Then follow the instructions step by step, and trust the process.
Should be Figure 12. Unless I'm way off. :wink:

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:34 pm

Just to make DJ's lives hard, I've put out tracks with tempo changes at the intros, breaks and ends. Not much either - less than 1 bpm over 8 or 16 bars.

hehe. I sometimes wish more producers did that, just to challenge DJs.

"ya wanna mix this? EARN the right, bwoy!"

That throws the whole warping technique discussion into a new direction...

missjade

:p

Post by missjade » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:45 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Just to make DJ's lives hard, I've put out tracks with tempo changes at the intros, breaks and ends. Not much either - less than 1 bpm over 8 or 16 bars.

just when i thought i was getting it :? :cry:

jk...i think that's pretty funny actually. and sadistic. :x

supster

Post by supster » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:25 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Just to make DJ's lives hard, I've put out tracks with tempo changes at the intros, breaks and ends. Not much either - less than 1 bpm over 8 or 16 bars.

i think thats a great way to make sure that as few people buy your tracks and play them as possible.

--

dj roman

Post by dj roman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:55 am

supster wrote:

i think thats a great way to make sure that as few people buy your tracks and play them as possible.

it's worked for sasha.
XP Sp2, 3.0ghzP P4 HT, 1GB 3200DDR Motu 828 mk2 FIREWIRE, Korg Kontrol49, Xone 92,
Reason 3, LIVE 5.02
www.SceneOrlando.com
I JUST FINISHED READING THE MANUAL. I STILL HAVE FREAKING QUESTIONS.

Nav

Post by Nav » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:45 pm

:( It's not on your site naymore, I was looking forward to this :(

Any chance I can get hold of it?

supster

Post by supster » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Nav wrote::( It's not on your site naymore, I was looking forward to this :(

Any chance I can get hold of it?

well, here's what happened. some people took notice of the tutorial and offered me employment.

who and what kind i would rather not shout out on a board - but for my own sake i'd rather not publish that method or some other methods that im using out on the internet right now :)

so .... im glad its helped people out as much as it has - by all means keep using it, however (because some people are being persistant):

- no i really would rather not put it up

- no i dont want to make any exceptions, nothing is to prevent some stranger from re-publishing this somewhere on another page

- yes i really feel a twinge of bad about this because there are people that really do need help with this but its a teqnique that is now earning me money

- no im not going to say what im doing or for who, it might not be so obvious and it does involve more than warping tracks! lol

--