Rock Solid Live Warping Technique 101

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supster

Post by supster » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 am

ive just finished a warping tutorial (with screenshots) that gives a detailed, reliable, consistant method for warping full length tracks

this should cover most of the common problems people seem to have with warping tracks; at least, it definitely never lets me down and has helped everyone ive taught it to

i'll probably do a '201' sometime in the near future that covers alternate situations and genres. hope this helps, comments or questions let me know

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:44 am

Great stuff, dude! Funny, detailed, easy to follow and thorough.

Anyone who can't warp after following your tutorial needs to stick to their record players...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:34 am

haha! SNAP! that first picture sums it up nicely!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Great tutorial. One question... Who is the wanker stood with Jordan???

supster

Post by supster » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:33 pm

thanks guys, a long time ago i stuck my foot in my mouth when i promised i would do a warping FAQ (im sure nobody remembers but me anyway) but i decided to write up this instead

glad it makes sense

Patch wrote:One question... Who is the wanker stood with Jordan???
8O

man, i got that picture from Google images and i have no idea who any of those people are

it looks awfully british in origin so if anyone can step up and tell me who they are (tracy who??) please tell :)

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

Inductive

Post by Inductive » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm

I have the whole beatmapping thing down, but I always read through these tutorials to see how other people are doing it. This one is especialy good. Anyway, one thing I did that I dont know if anyone has talked about here (recently) is go to /whatever_your_live_dir_is/Resources/Misc/ and change the metronome sounds. I have a few sets of sounds named metronome.wav.bak01 etc so I can switch them off. One set is just a short hard sine click that works the best most of the time. Its low freq but cut hard at the begining. I dont think there is a specific setting in live to choose what your metronome sound is, but it works manualy.

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:21 pm

If you don't like any of these styles of music ... well, that's fine, but if you want to start out learning how to warp gabber-salsa in 6/4 time you can contact me for more advanced lessons.
ha ha ha this is classic

:lol:

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:37 pm

Personally, I find the warping through loops method to be FAR too time consuming.

I simply warp by sight, then quickly check against the metronome. I set 3 or 4 markers for an entire song. Takes me a matter of seconds. Usually less than 20-30 seconds total.

I set Marker 1, then I move to marker 65. I drag 65 into alignment, and the rest of the track typically falls into place nicely. I lock down 65, and then I set 2 more markers on mix-points near the end. Then I set a final marker on the last beat of the song, adjust the clip stop marker, and hit save.

I use the scrub feature to spot check the beatmatching against the metronome. About 1 second check, halfway between each warp marker I have locked down. Takes just a few seconds per song to check.

Fast, accurate, simple.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:52 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Personally, I find the warping through loops method to be FAR too time consuming.

I simply warp by sight, then quickly check against the metronome. I set 3 or 4 markers for an entire song. Takes me a matter of seconds. Usually less than 20-30 seconds total.

I set Marker 1, then I move to marker 65. I drag 65 into alignment, and the rest of the track typically falls into place nicely. I lock down 65, and then I set 2 more markers on mix-points near the end. Then I set a final marker on the last beat of the song, adjust the clip stop marker, and hit save.

I use the scrub feature to spot check the beatmatching against the metronome. About 1 second check, halfway between each warp marker I have locked down. Takes just a few seconds per song to check.

Fast, accurate, simple.
my method exactly. :wink:

all in all, good tutorial. thanks for making it.

w:!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

dCross

Post by dCross » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:12 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Personally, I find the warping through loops method to be FAR too time consuming.

marker I have locked down. Takes just a few seconds per song to check.

Fast, accurate, simple.
Me three!

(Of course, I let Live analyze first to get the ballpark bpm.)

Grade E

good tutorial, but too long?

Post by Grade E » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:02 am

I think this is a well explained, detailed tutorial, but it seems like overkill. I warp by site (as many others have noted) usually setting 2-3 warp markers per track, except for the odd track here and there that are totally loose. I can usually warp a track in 30 seconds to 1 minute. This method seems like it would take several minutes...

In any event, thanks for sharing your method of madness.

grade

defunkt

Post by defunkt » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 am

hi,supster,great site you have,i'll be checking the music out later,good tutorial for newcommers to get to grips with.im sure everyone has there own way ,but its great help for those who dont.was playing one of your old remixes last night=devo,satisfaction,great track,i aint been here in ages so i was inspired to come by and say hi,still got your mix of 4 to tha floor aswell.fantastic.bye

jms5881

Post by jms5881 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm

I never need to use the LOOP or metronome when warping. I simply line up the first beat (pretty much as shown) then correct the BPM (if it is wrong in the track box) then check to make sure the warp markers are lined up at the end.

THATS IT - I DJ progressive house, breaks and minimal

Occasionally A track will need a bit more effort than this. Maybe then using LOOP and the click track would be helpful but I never take the time to use it. AT this point I just make an addiotnal warp marker at the end of the track to line things up. Usually, then THATS it.

I can do all that within 60 secs...I can warp and introduce new tracks into a live set on the fly with no problem usually.

About 5% of the time a track will need more tweaking around with than this. I'm not expert enough to make sound decisions on what to do next. I think an important peice of advice I offer that nobody ever seems to do is to correct the BPM. If it reads 131.98 and the warp markers ar not lined up at the end, then the BPM is wrong. ABleton (after much screaming by me and others) fixed this but sometimes it is still estimated wrong). Anyway, if it reads 131.98, simply change it to 132 and you see the warp markers line back up.

Theorhetical correctness and bullshit aside, this is the fastest and most accurate way I know of warping most house/breaks tracks.

avb

Post by avb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:54 pm

this was a great tutorial and I believe it will work with other things like for example this vocal that I have and that I know it follows a 4X4 rhythmic pattern even though its kinda confused.

Can't wait to get home and try it out.

Thx man! :D

supster

Post by supster » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:08 pm

jms5881 wrote:I never need to use the LOOP or metronome when warping. I simply line up the first beat (pretty much as shown) then correct the BPM (if it is wrong in the track box) then check to make sure the warp markers are lined up at the end.

THATS IT - I DJ progressive house, breaks and minimal

i knew that this tutorial would be somewhat controversial with some of the people on this board, that some of you use less markers and its working for you

the thing is based on my personal experience, other people i know and people that constantly come through this forum ... that is not reliable enough to count on with ever track you do

there are always some track that are not going to cooperate, they have variations through the production or vinyl rip or any number of things.

so much better imo to just do them all the same take the extra minute to be postive, because its not so easy to correct once you have it going (new nudging system is kind of klugy imo), and if you have good ears even a slight amount of flamming is noticable and wrecks it.

i think lots of people are lazy and/or just want to prove that they are "good enough" to do it faster :lol: i also think a lot of people are mainly mixing the old school way where they just mix out of the last 32 bars wtih the incoming 32.

but if you are really pushing it to tear out loops from the middle, and transposing them, and scrubbing stuff all over and creating loops on the fly you need something more rock solid and reliable.

every time ive tried to do more advanced stuff with tracks that only havce a couple of markers they eventually let me down and it fucks up. and i would never, ever trust my tracks warped without an audible reference behind it to make sure.

just remember that new people need a step by step explanation that doest skip anything and always works. i didnt want to write a tutorial that was half assed, oversimplified things, or confused peoplev

know producers that are very well known and amazing at what they do, and they still dont completley understand it and get inconsistant results. so its really not that easy or straightfoward.. and i would never write a tutorial for people that asssumed that.

Last edited by supster on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--