PHAT BEATS -- the percussion routing of the nefilim

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri May 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Drumattic wrote:. Just wondering if you know of a mac program that would work like protools beat replacer....it seemed so easy to change up the kik and layer it with out flamming.

apulsoft's aptrigga.

chuzzlewit

Post by chuzzlewit » Fri May 05, 2006 11:11 pm

hey phats,

you mentioned using dblue Glitch. Fcking awesome plug, but sometimes I wish I could recreate some of these FX. Am currently trying to do a mash-up mix using an acapella layered with my beats and a bass line and a few other parts. What I want to do is effectively retrigger, stretch, reverse, bitcrush slices all of these tracks in different variations and patterns throughout the piece - either individually, grouped, or all together where I see fit.

I'm thinking make some dummy clips on a bus track to reorder the input of the other 3 tracks and reverse, add FXs, reorder slices etc. But can you stretch individual hits in live a la dblue glitch??

The basic premise comes from running any track you like through dblue glitch and thinking that sounds awesome but can I recreate some of what is going on there in my sequencer.

Its easy enough in Cubase etc. to chop/mangle Audio, but you have to work on a wav or render a .wav with all the parts you want and then chop it. This is cool except if I decide I don't like the way one part sounds I can't go back and EQ it add FX without re-rendering a .wav and then trying to chop it up in the same way as before.

I think Live may be able to do this non-destructively or 'cheaply' as you put it.

make sense??

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sat May 06, 2006 6:22 am

dubbya: i have msn. thephatconductor at hot mail

drumattic: just replace the samples with the 'replace' button, or if that is too much of a pain, save an original of your sample somewhere under another name - eg. samplename(o).wav - and then save a new one overtop of the normally named sample in your track folder. ableton will think it is the same sample.

chuzz: your question makes sense. what you need to do is glitch out the drum bus.

-get a trigger finger or other midi controller programmed to send midi CC #s instead of notes. you will use this to toggle fx on and off.

-make an fx send, and send the drum bus to it on 'pre'.

-send the output from that fx bus to a new audio track, this is where you can put your dummy clips. set it to monitoring status 'in'

-make the drum bus crossfader side 'a' and the fx bus crossfader side 'b'. this way you will be able to smoothly transition between your un-effected drum bus, and some fo the more extreme fx you will be performing without the telltale click of your insert snapping on. leave the crossfader on side 'a' when you're done.

-stack a bunch of fx on the audio track that the fx return in coming into. put redux, glitch, beatrepeater, flange, tons of fx, but turn them all OFF.

-midi learn the fx to the cc numbers on your midi controller.

-to perform the drum bus edits select a combo of fx to turn on by holding the keys on your midi controller, and then flick the crossfader from 'a' to 'b' and back. voila!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu May 11, 2006 6:21 pm

oh, almost forgot.

if you want to timestretch incoming audio, you can slow it down live with supatrigga. real handy for drum fills.

chuzzlewit

Post by chuzzlewit » Thu May 11, 2006 9:24 pm

cheers PC. I had been messing with Supatrigga recently and picked up on the timestretches.

now just gotta write me some dirty beats to mangle:)

ounorecordings.com-Lyday

stock filter sweeps

Post by ounorecordings.com-Lyday » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:34 pm

This sounds very cool.

"whenever i write i keep clips of stock filter sweeps on hand in the session window"

Can you reexplain that a little.

friend_kami

Re: stock filter sweeps

Post by friend_kami » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:30 pm

ounorecordings.com-Lyday wrote:This sounds very cool.

"whenever i write i keep clips of stock filter sweeps on hand in the session window"

Can you reexplain that a little.
i agree, care to explain that further?

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:16 pm

ok, whether it's automated over the iac bus, or with dummy clips, the basic idea is to have a clip of automation data that you can just launch into when you need it.

i mean, there are going to be lots of times where you need a simple 4 bar falling lopass right? so just make a clip that has one in it and then use it when you need it.

that kind of thing.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:48 pm

ah, thats a smart idea indeed.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:44 pm

This thread rocks more than anything. I just downloaded dblue glitch and combined with this thread, my day will now be spent in front of the computer.

From a total newb to music-making, from the bottom of my heart - thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of advice someone addicted to beats like me has been looking for all over the net.

You, sir are a gentleman and a sage.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:26 pm

glad i could be of ass-istance ;)

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:39 am

Awesome post, very helpful- thanks !

djfm

Post by djfm » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:19 pm

awsome bro
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

adidasguy

Post by adidasguy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:28 am

can you explain this line please? I'm trying to implement this technique, but it's not working as I expect!

-make an fx send, and send the drum bus to it on 'pre'.

also, can you summarize the settings all the relevant tracks should have?

drum buss track
audio from...
audio to xxxx

FX Bus Track
audio from
audio to xxx

I'm not sure if the technique you're describing involves three audio tracks, or using live's return tracks

Thanks!
Dominique

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Did I miss a Live set example of this? It would be great to have one.. with the FX send tip on page 2 included.