MIDI Beat Juggling Template

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:07 pm

when you're juggling an actual record there's usually a couple classic cue points. kick, snare, 'chicka chicka', etc. then later i come with the reverse drums hits, the vocal cops, etc.

juggling is anything but random live. you gotta have little routines made.

if you keep your mapping consistent (1-kik, 2-snare, 3-chickachicka, 4-reverse, etc.) then you can use one midi clip on different songs and it will come out nice.

try keeping it to one channel at a time at first.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:19 pm

tricil wrote:i use it with my presonus firebox with a midi cable connecting the in to the out on the breakout cable.... fucking phenomenal.

but about IAC/midifeedback: how would saving live clips benefit if i use a midi keyboard as well as the iac send as midi controllers? asides from maybe reserving iac for channel 1? i guess i just answered my own question.

anyways, Mr. Phat Conductor, pleas gmail me at my handle (spam protect you can figure this out ;)
ok, over a year old reply/question.... is the IAC driver fucked up in Leopard?

I tried this set with both 6.0.10 and 7 with IAC in and out set to Track and Remote and could not get this to work =(
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 pm

wierd.

i was having no problems controlling arkaos over the IAC, and i can get commands to come in fine as well.

make sure the channel sending to the IAC isn't set to recieve from the IAC too btyw. i've seen an IAC midi loop cause some wierd feedback before.

i don't think that's your problem though...

hrm...

so you've configured your ableton to send both track and remote on the IAC, and then also to take track and remote and still nothing?

that simply should not be.

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:57 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:wierd.

i was having no problems controlling arkaos over the IAC, and i can get commands to come in fine as well.

make sure the channel sending to the IAC isn't set to recieve from the IAC too btyw. i've seen an IAC midi loop cause some wierd feedback before.

i don't think that's your problem though...

hrm...

so you've configured your ableton to send both track and remote on the IAC, and then also to take track and remote and still nothing?

that simply should not be.
indeed. =(
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

lematt

Post by lematt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am

wow

that's an awesome tip !

:D

just tried this on fat electro and it's assbreaking !
musique concrète funky - dj sets

mesaboogiewes

Post by mesaboogiewes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 am

Is this the same template on ur website where you have all ur controls midi mapped to your trigger finger?

how did you do that?
2.16 Ghz MacBook, M-Audio Firewire 410, Live 6, Sampler, Reason 4, BFD, Melodyne cre8, M-Audio O2, Micro Korg

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:59 pm

mesaboogiewes wrote:Is this the same template on ur website where you have all ur controls midi mapped to your trigger finger?

how did you do that?
different template... this one predates that one back when i was using ableton in a totaly different and more convoluted way... the template that i demo in the video is here:

https://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49330

that thread will explain the other templates...

uberdrums

Re: MIDI Beat Juggling Template

Post by uberdrums » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi there,

Sorry for digging up an old post. I can juggle with my own template. playing through midi works, creating a manual midi clip to trigger works (i.e if I draw the notes in) that all works.
But when I record a midi clip with my keyboard, the notes show in my midi clip. but they are not triggering the audio clips?

I dont really understand why, as the notes I draw in work?

Please Help me!
Cheers

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 pm

same notes? same channel? same output (iac)?

there shouldn't be a difference...

uberdrums

Post by uberdrums » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working..

Do you know if there is anyway to get this working with several pages on the launchpad???

wompaholic502

Post by wompaholic502 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Cant wait to get home and install this! Hopefully, I'll be able to get it all routed and whatnot correctly. Thanks as always Mr. Phat