Kid beyond's Midi Foot Controller

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SubLikka

Kid beyond's Midi Foot Controller

Post by SubLikka » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:37 pm

I want to know which midi foot controller kid beyond uses (make & model) please. It isn't a behringer & he doesn't mention what the make is during the video in the 'artists' section.

Thanx Amigos
SubLikka

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:27 am

wal

Post by wal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 am

it's actually 'digital midi corp. they also make the voodoo stuff. i answer because i'm also interested in doing the same thing and i'm looking for like mindeds. i have the option to sell these as a dealer here in nyc but would prefer to find a few people to go in on them with. additionally the key here ( in the vid ) seems to be what commands to program in to enable this loop layering method. anyone know the keystrokes ( ie. arm track.....loop selection etc. ) the mac software ( freeware i think is callled coolaid.
wal
g4 laptop live 5.02 tiger metric halo mobile io 2882 stylus guitar rig ems synthi hi fli elasticated teflon ( as a horn with efx )

hade

Post by hade » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:56 pm

some usefukl info here:
http://www.charlie-roberts.com/controlAidForum/

The program in question is Midi Stroke.
And ControlAid for midi mapping.

Think you need to set up a key map in Live, first. Midi stroke also lets you set combos eg apple+Z and there's a few useful things there, like undo, capture & insert scene etc..

Don't think there's a "special" keymap, just what there is!..
and this you gotta hear: a man wished his neighbour dead the neighbour went fool crazy and come after the wisher with a chainsaw. cut him min two sections like the lady sawed in half act.

wal

Post by wal » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:09 pm

hade, thank you for the reply. i see by the address you have something to do with a forum or at least control aid. i can't wait to visit and work out my solutions ( i can't believe i called it cool aid. ) i'm guessing that the same people that designed control aid also set up the mapping utility; i'll hopefully discover this while visting the charlie-roberts control aid forum.

all my best,
wal
g4 laptop live 5.02 tiger metric halo mobile io 2882 stylus guitar rig ems synthi hi fli elasticated teflon ( as a horn with efx )

wal

Post by wal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:41 am

hey hade, i joined the charlie roberts forum and am just getting into learning about setting my laptop . mic . map . guitar into the looping in live thing.

do you do this yourself; i'd be interested to hear what your doing.

best,
wal

hade

Post by hade » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi Wal
I'm getting myself ready to delve into this, It all more or less makes sense to me but I need to work out what to map that is going to suit me.

Basically, I'm putting together a set for performance, which is a whole bunch of songs all put into one big session. Song sections are on scenes and triggered by midi notes via Behringer FCB1010.... On the 1010 I've mapped on each patch, or set of 10 pedals, incrimental midi notes (apart from pedal 10, which is note 10 on each patch which I've mapped to scene stop) and each scene has incrimenting midi notes mapped. Each song has no more than 9 scenes, so I can use 1 patch per song and have a stop button. Some songs only have 5 scenes so I'm using the top row of pedals on that patch to record - I have 1 audio track armed permanently, ready for slots to be recorded to..

Thing that is holding me back, is I've been using Live for a couple of years but more or less exlusively in arrange mode, so I'm still shadey on session view in terms of navigating round the slots, shortcuts for firing off slots etc.. And, I can see myself running out of pedals!
and this you gotta hear: a man wished his neighbour dead the neighbour went fool crazy and come after the wisher with a chainsaw. cut him min two sections like the lady sawed in half act.

wal

from wal in nyc

Post by wal » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:01 am

hi hade, sorry for the late response. i accidentally hit some button ( no i remember ) that took me out of this post.
what i'm trying to do is a bit different. while it is performance related and i might quite possibly be fire clips etc., i am most concerned with live becoming an extention of my instrument or better yet a compositional platform for spontaneous looping.

i'll probably be doing similar things but i need the ability to manipulate single or multiple armings of tracks or disarming.

like you i've always ( 1 year now, from logic ) used the arrange side, this has to change.....or does it?

i use a mac laptop , so i believe my only choice ( and it seems to be a fine one ) is control aid for mapping and midistroke.......i've ,since your response downloaded them both........so now with very little time to waste ask myself the question where now?

because of the instrument i play ( rubberbandhorn ) i've all of a sudden been put under the pressure of being in demand or at least i've gotten a lot of attention and on top of that david lee roth ( big hair, spandex, actually not like that , nice guy ) featured a film i was in here in nyc on his show where he rants about my playing......felt good , but i'm scared........i gotta get it together man.

this new rig has to be setup pronto....so i'm even doing local shout outs to try to find someone to help me quickly throw it together.

know of anyone hade?
w

Doobie Dan

Post by Doobie Dan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Hade,

I'm an Ableton newbie but maybe I can steer you in a new direction regarding the FCB. I don't know if your giant set with 50-80 scenes is the most efficient way to do what you're trying to do, but someone else will have to help you with that. However, if you want to free up some pedals and still have this layout I'd recommend making use of the scene up/down and track play/stop. These buttons only appear in key/midi map mode.

So, for example, say you're on song 3 which uses scenes 21-30. Your current setup looks like:

FCB bank 02:
1 - scene 21
2 - scene 22
3 - scene 23
etc.

You could try
1 - scene 21 (to make sure you start in the right place)
2 - scene down
3 - scene up

This will free up 7 pedals for firing sample clips or toggling entire tracks.

hade

Post by hade » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Dan, I found the hidden scene up/down/play buttons earlier this week, Magic! And I think I'll impliment your idea of having the first pedal of each bank to fire off the first scene of each section, gonna make it a whole lot easier!

Wal
I found it useful to arm all the tracks you want for recording permanently (apple and click arm for multiples) that way when you fire off an empty clip, it will record into it.. Also get a midi note or controller to activate apple+z for undo.. I've still not implimented controlAid or Midistroke yet, but will do soon as I'm getting a few men together for a band and will sort of need it! And to be honest, the only thing I'd need it for would be to undo, nothing else - everything else can be mapped to midi notes/controllers..
your're from New york, I'm from Rotherham.. Hmm, some lyrics in there somewhere!
I'd check the local section for nyc abe's, maybe someone might help!

Nice to hear that fuzzy Roth is ranting about you1 Well done!!