throwaway non-used part of samples

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
catacumbia

throwaway non-used part of samples

Post by catacumbia » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:50 pm

yes, that's the question.
you use a big chunk to get samples from (say a soundtrack of filmdocument) within live, but then, you save it as consolidated... but still, it will maintain the whole obsolete part of the whole. Is there a possibility, like in filmediting programmas to clean up de file, and so only stay with the real used parts within a consolidated file... it would make much slimmer files...

thanks all
dick de la catacumbia rodriguez de las palmas de san vincente
hijo de don ernesto villatrueno de la Loba cadenafirme
LIVE 8.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core i7
processor-speed 2.66 Ghz
8 GB memory

mostly OhmBoyz plugins

nuestra oscuridad nunca apagara la luz

radeon

Post by radeon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:21 pm

sorry but live not haveing trim sample IT NEEDING THIS FEATURE. You can do it to record the small part you liking to other track or render the small audio parts and import back to live. I likes to explain better but my English works is not so good I still learns it so I hope some peopels tell you better how to do it :wink:

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:50 pm

The whole long sample is already on your hard drive before you import it into Live. Live never deletes or changes this file, which is kind of natural - it might be something you want to use in another track, or not. Live has no way of knowing this.

You can use how many copies of this sample as you want in your track, use parts of it, etc. Live will still only refer to this single copy of this sample.

If you do a consolidate on a clip, Live will make a copy. But this copy will only contain the parts you have actually consolidated.

So, the easiest way is to never consolidate. You will still have your original sample/recording intact and Live won't use any more disc space.

Or you could consolidate the clips that you actually are going to use and then delete the original file from outside Live.

Inductive

Post by Inductive » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:11 pm

Personaly. I like to have a directory for each track I'm working on. I used to manualy copy everything to that directory in other software. In live, I just consoladate all of it. For drums I want to load in impulse, I cut them to length (a little longer then I need). I take all 8 clips I want to load into impulse, copy them to arrangement view, and consoladate each seperatly. If you need them named something (the wav file that is) rename them before you consoladate them. Then I make sure and 'save as self contained' and everything is stuck in the directory I saved the song to. This helps when you back up a few dvd's worth of tracks, never have to pull out all kinds of backups to find a missing snare/pad/whatever sample. And yeah, I put all the vst dll's I used in the directory too (as a .rar file) because well... I've lost everything 3 diffrent times, I dont have any of my first like, 8 years of work. I'd like to say it doesn't matter at all but, it would be cool to still have it all. BACK UP STUFF !!

salatspinatra

save as self-contain.

Post by salatspinatra » Mon May 15, 2006 4:33 am

after consolidating, save as a self-contained session. Live will then ask you if you want to throw out the unused portions of your audio files. Sure, you'll have the original file remain on your computer somewhere else. Perhaps you can put it in an archive folder, you know, hold on to it until you're confident you want to throw it out and save some space. am I following your question properly? I'm really breezing through these posts...
best,j