[b]effekts on a microphone in live in realtime?[/b]

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
marco

[b]effekts on a microphone in live in realtime?[/b]

Post by marco » Mon May 19, 2003 12:27 pm

hi - can anybody tell me how i could use my microphone/guitar for a live-gig with reverb or other effects in live? (no monitoring) or is there any software that can do that? or do i need a "real"-mixer and hardwareeffects?

saludos, marco
PuraVida

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 9:03 pm

Just get an audio interface like the Motu 828.

You've got to have a pretty beefy processor/be very careful if you are going to try that live.

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue May 20, 2003 9:46 pm

Get an inexpensive MIDI-capable effects box and patch a send to it.

-Alex

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2003 7:31 am

hi, thanks for your tip,
...but what is a MIDI-capable effects box ?

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic » Wed May 21, 2003 11:47 am

Marco,

You'd still need some kind of mixer to run your laptop into your pa for quick 'tweaks', and how are you planning on separating the mic / guitar signals?

You'd be looking at a multiple input card (ie. Emagic emi 6|2) to make sure signals were coming in on different channels, otherwise vox and guitar will get the same level of fx, and also a mixer with multiple "busses" (outputs) to feed the card (unless your card has mic and guitar level inputs that are simultaneously active and "seperate"), and a master out to pa.

As comment above warns, you'll also be dealing with latency, but even on my humble G4 450 it's not that bad...

In my studio I use a Roland VM3100 mixer which does all above, but live I keep it pretty simple with a little Behringer mixer.

Unless you want some pretty sick fx, I'd maybe stick with hardware reverb / fx and notepad mixer setup for your guitar and vox, with Live spinning in your beats etc...
pixelmechanic - sound vs. vision - appropriation vs. improvisation

www.pixelmechanics.com/sonic

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 3:42 pm

hi, thank you!

i think the best way for me and my laptop is to buy a hardware-fx!