Sequence Your Live Looping (No Pedals Necessary)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
itook4lefts

Re: Problems

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 am

Soup Dragon wrote:I tried this - not exactly as per post:

Set up a Midi clip playing notes to trigger record button and then notes to stop and start clip and finally a note to stop record.

Set the midiout channel to the correct one to trigger the notes and record button.

Tried it - It worked and recorded a 4 bar loop and then turned record off.

Problem was that it started endless triggering itself again after 1 bar.

Not sure what the fucks going on - But thought perhaps the clip might contain a midi note that was retriggering it again - I have looked at most possible causes of the problem.

Anyone ideas - I got tantillisingly close to realy making a breakthrough in using Abelton in a live situation ?

Best Richard
it sounds to me like the midi clip is still looping an therefore retriggering the loop you've recorded. that won't be affected by having record disabled, because it's just midi mapping.
i'm going to try this tonight with my 40h. should be cool.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Nightrider wrote:Just upgraded to Live 6

Now I am having trouble with my midi clips that are triggering the clip to start recording.

The problem is it starts recording ok but when the second midi signal goes through to tell it to stop and to start playing I have an insanely big cpu spike and the audio cuts out for a second. I am running a PowerBook PC 1.5phz with 1.5gb ram.

Can anyone shed some light on this?? Because it was working fine in Live 5!
ok, this happens to me too, from what i can tell, exactly the same, on an ibook 1.33ghz.

edit: played with this some more, and it doesn't seem to be doing it any more. i think it's important that, in the midi/sync tab of the preferences, your IAC loop is set to input: remote ON only, and output: track ON only.

also the way i've got it set up at the moment, is not having the midi trigger clips as loops, but instead having one clip send two notes some distance apart for start and stop.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:41 pm

itook4lefts wrote:
Nightrider wrote:Just upgraded to Live 6

Now I am having trouble with my midi clips that are triggering the clip to start recording.

The problem is it starts recording ok but when the second midi signal goes through to tell it to stop and to start playing I have an insanely big cpu spike and the audio cuts out for a second. I am running a PowerBook PC 1.5phz with 1.5gb ram.

Can anyone shed some light on this?? Because it was working fine in Live 5!
ok, this happens to me too, from what i can tell, exactly the same, on an ibook 1.33ghz.

edit: played with this some more, and it doesn't seem to be doing it any more. i think it's important that, in the midi/sync tab of the preferences, your IAC loop is set to input: remote ON only, and output: track ON only.

also the way i've got it set up at the moment, is not having the midi trigger clips as loops, but instead having one clip send two notes some distance apart for start and stop.

Thanks man very helpful!

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:09 am

Lots of fun, Thanks Phat!

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:26 pm

What is the equivalent of setting up an IAC midi loop on a PC?

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

not sure, but i've heard midiyoke and bome's miditranslator referred to a lot. google those.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:33 pm

thankyou thankyou thankyou. This is exactly what I was trying to do with my band.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 pm

can anyone repost the als file for this..cheers

spiral

Post by spiral » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:59 am

bumps als request

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:33 am

can someone tell me how to post a screen shot? I don't know how the link a url...if you walk my thru how to post a couple screen captures i'll see what i can do about post how i set everything up.

i've got pics on my desktop...have do you parlay that into something you can post on in a response?

spiral

Post by spiral » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:33 am

upload the pics to flickr or photobucket

copy the img url

and stick it between the [ img ] [ /img ] but no spaces

laurence

Post by laurence » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:54 am

nice title
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:32 am

Hope this helps. This is an example of how I do it. Getting the Midi clip set-up to trigger the actual scenes was the original subject of this post and is explained in the original post...it may be a bit confusing at first, but if you follow the directions closely you can figure it out...and once you do it a couple times, it is very easy and I've gotten very fast at it.

Essentially, I'll make a dummy IAC midi clip like the one here...and I'll space notes about two measures apart starting with a 'C' and hitting all twelve semi-tones in the octave I'm setting up...say for instance -2...or the bottom octave. As shown above, this octave I use for my mute clips. I put the midi note in the clip just prior to the second measure (for C-2), the second midi note just prior to the 4th measure (for C#-2) and so on and so on...all the way up to B (again...12 semitones or an octave). Then I make sure the midi clip will start when I press play, make sure I'm in midi map mode, then press play. Make sure to click on the slot you want to associate with the midi note prior to the midi note being struck in the midi clip...and when the note is played it should indicate it has been mapped...to make quick work of it...quickly go through and hit each slot you want to program immediately after the previous one has been programmed...in this way you can quickly map an entire scene.

Couple extra points...in this set-up you are limited to basically 12 tracks because there are only 12 notes per octave...and about 10 scenes as there are only 10 or 11 octaves. There are certainly other ways to set it up though so be sure to experiment. I get around this sometimes by going back and erasing previously recording slots and importing a new midi auto clip if need be...or I just stop for a second and begin a new song...I usually sequence my stuff into roughly 30 minute sets covering 5 to 7 different songs.

Regarding settings, In prefs I warp using tones as it seems to work better than beats for non drum related parts. Make sure all your tracks are armed, so don't have arm and solo as exclusive. I leave 'Select next on scene launch' and start recording on scene launch' off...but YMMV. Finally, and this is VERY important if you are using Live 6...you must make sure to avoid a IAC feedback loop which will crash live everytime...this was NOT an issue in 5 which is why I thought it was much more stable at first. In any case, essentially you will only want remote selected for the MIDI output (IAC) and track for the MIDI input (IAC)...I think...if thats not working, switch them around...this was covered in detail on a recent post in which the abes figured out the problem.

Wow...that a lot of shit...hope i didn't lose anyone...definitely experiment to see what works for you as I'm positive there is not one right way to do it...but many. In any case, i've experimented for a long time and this represents a breakthrough for me after many years of using MC-505's, MPC2000, Ensoniq's, Reason, etc....this is the best...bar none.

Again, I have to thank Phat for turning me on to this many moons ago. Props.
Last edited by electropoet on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:35 am

Great post, electropoet - very useful!
electropoet wrote:Couple extra points...in this set-up you are limited to basically 12 tracks because there are only 12 notes per octave...and about 10 scenes as there are only 10 or 11 octaves. There are certainly other ways to set it up though so be sure to experiment. I get around this by going back and erasing previously recording slots and importing a new midi auto clip if need be...
Could you get around this simply by changing the midi cnannel the IAC bus is transmitting data on? All the note numbers would stay the same, and effectively (barring all other midi controls in your set...) you could have a session view consiting of 192 (12*16) x 176 (11*16) clip slots.

I'm pretty new to this - so I may be wrong. This thread is the mutts nuts!

spiral

Post by spiral » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:49 am

thanks for that.. i think i'll need to sit down with that pic , spend some time and work it out..