recreate what hawtin does?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Toufas

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:45 pm

yes, how do i recreate it ?:P

anyone know a contact email for richie?
or bug monolake to tell us, he must know :P

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:59 pm

drop a sample into a sampler and yank your pitch wheel

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:30 pm

You guys are pimps - so basically automating (or assigning a controller) to the delay amount and turning it down - I'd love to do this with a Dub delay to get some really massive movement going on - make the beat seem like it's shifting - on a big system that would fuck some people up

nice
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:33 pm

i really want to listen to some samples of what you are saying.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:03 pm

also , i was out last night and i wasnt enjoying myself, so i was trying to think things to recreate this...
pitch bending wouldnt do the trick or i am wrong?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:09 pm

It's just a staaaandard tape delay emulation!

Load it up, put audio through it and tweak the delay time. Now enough people have said it, I should think ;)

(oh, and go on KVR and search for "tape delay" - how's that for info? ;) )
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:51 pm

pitch wheel + simple delar could easily do that

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Machinate wrote:It's just a staaaandard tape delay emulation!

Load it up, put audio through it and tweak the delay time. Now enough people have said it, I should think ;)

i have tried almost every vst in there and nothing, still the same results....
i would really like to see you all trying to recreate what you are proposing before bashing me...

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:58 pm

No bashing dude, it's just a simply oldschool tape delay effect, originally the tape delay was a real tape recording the input, then you could gradually slow the tape down and the pitch would go lower and since it was a tape after each iteration it would degrade more and more because it was not a digital reproduction, the signal degrades and sounds more and more crappy.

Like I suggested you can achieve the same effect by taking a loop into a sampler like simpler, looping it, then turning down the pitch wheel it will go slower and slower gradually like a tape delay but without the signal degradation since its digital, you can recreate that with an automated eq and use decay/release to recreate the delay fadeout.

To hear this effect in use 20 years or more back, grab Black Uhuru 'the dub factor' (try the track 'Boof'n Baff'n Biff' or 'android rebellion') or just about any old dub reggae track.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:17 am

ILTK wrote:No bashing dude, it's just a simply oldschool tape delay effect, originally the tape delay was a real tape recording the input, then you could gradually slow the tape down and the pitch would go lower and since it was a tape after each iteration it would degrade more and more because it was not a digital reproduction, the signal degrades and sounds more and more crappy.

Like I suggested you can achieve the same effect by taking a loop into a sampler like simpler, looping it, then turning down the pitch wheel it will go slower and slower gradually like a tape delay but without the signal degradation since its digital, you can recreate that with an automated eq and use decay/release to recreate the delay fadeout.

To hear this effect in use 20 years or more back, grab Black Uhuru 'the dub factor' (try the track 'Boof'n Baff'n Biff' or 'android rebellion') or just about any old dub reggae track.

the problem with simpler, is that lets say i have a 2 sec sample, i couldnt get it to play looped withouth having gaps or wasnt able to play my samples full.nor i could find how the pitch works there :/

beale

Post by beale » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:44 am

"It sounded better broken"

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:59 am

Toufas wrote: the problem with simpler, is that lets say i have a 2 sec sample, i couldnt get it to play looped withouth having gaps or wasnt able to play my samples full.nor i could find how the pitch works there :/
Yeah for that short a sample it's hard to make it work right in a sampler, especially simpler because it's so limited, it's way easier to just get a vst delay that has tape delay simulation, then all you need is use it as a send and then 'ride the fader' to send the section of the sample to the delay, then you simply ride the knob on the tape delay time to turn it up and down and you have the effect.

I started with music and outboard gear back when the digital delays/reverbs were just hitting the market, and they cost a freakin fortune, so tape delays were all I could afford back then, but I still remember they were a ton more fun than vsts and todays digital hardware stuff, you could use a tape delay like an instrument creating that 'dub' effect like in your example.

PSP 42 can do it it very nicely, there may be some cheaper solutions but it's the only vst delay I use that I know for sure can do this.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/psp42.html

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:29 pm

i tried psp42, was using it for more than 30 minutes and i couldnt get near what i am after for:/

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:01 pm

Toufas wrote:
Machinate wrote:It's just a staaaandard tape delay emulation!

i have tried almost every vst in there and nothing, still the same results....
i would really like to see you all trying to recreate what you are proposing before bashing me...
Honestly, it is *not* a bash, but I don't really want to have to "prove" the feature for you. Teach a man to fish, etc. All that.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:35 pm

send me the .als that you made it and i will learn how to do it
toufas@gmail.com