recreate what hawtin does?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tech44

Re: Re

Post by tech44 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Dr. Zoiberg wrote:
tech44 wrote:In Toufas's defense I replied on other boards much like all of you are..then I tried to recreate it *exactly*. The closest I got was the PSP84, but its still not the same. It's definately not as simple as some of you think. If it is, then please do as he has ask and post an audio fille.
did you check mine ?
Yes..and I agree its the same type of effect....which is why I suggested dubstation in the other thread. But its not the same plug hawtin is using, which is ultimately what he wanted. Also...can you repeat that live or did you have to draw in alot of automation?

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed May 10, 2006 11:08 pm

tech44 wrote:So please...post a file, name the plugin, or stop saying 'it's just a tape delay'.
On page 2, I linked the Lexicon PSP 42, in the link you dropped someone is saying that he knows that this is exactly what is used, multiple people here is telling you that it's a tape delay, in the link you posted people are saying it's a tape delay.

Another discussion:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Check this picture, a bit hard to see but definately looks like psp42

http://www.party-ludwigshafen.de/page_p ... 7&seite=35

Other threads found in 1 minute using google:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... 59a2364c9b

This one is in some moon language, but psp42 is mentioned... again.

http://prztz.blogspot.com/2006/02/as-in ... et-de.html

Do you see a pattern here?

tech44

Post by tech44 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 am

ILTK wrote:
tech44 wrote:So please...post a file, name the plugin, or stop saying 'it's just a tape delay'.
On page 2, I linked the Lexicon PSP 42, in the link you dropped someone is saying that he knows that this is exactly what is used, multiple people here is telling you that it's a tape delay, in the link you posted people are saying it's a tape delay.

Another discussion:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Check this picture, a bit hard to see but definately looks like psp42

http://www.party-ludwigshafen.de/page_p ... 7&seite=35

Other threads found in 1 minute using google:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... 59a2364c9b

This one is in some moon language, but psp42 is mentioned... again.

http://prztz.blogspot.com/2006/02/as-in ... et-de.html

Do you see a pattern here?
Hey..I agree, I think its probably is the PSP. I downloaded the demo and tried with both the 42 and 84 just for the hell of it. And you know what...I couldn't get the exact sound. So, until I can, or I hear someone else do it, I'm not gonna tell someone "thats it man..trust me and stop asking".

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Thu May 11, 2006 2:54 am

tech44 wrote:
Dr. Zoiberg wrote: did you check mine ?
Yes..and I agree its the same type of effect....which is why I suggested dubstation in the other thread. But its not the same plug hawtin is using, which is ultimately what he wanted. Also...can you repeat that live or did you have to draw in alot of automation?
No automation at all, just one live take from a track I'm working on: playing with the Dubstation is fun :-)
You shouldn't think of it as the ususal delay, it's not what it's made for. You have to assign a few knobs and play with them!

Also consider that the sound depends on what you feed into the delay, and Mr Hawtin was definitely using a different kind of sound as source in that sample. I could try with something else... maybe :wink:

EDIT: Toufas, the sample is off-line :?

tech44

Post by tech44 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Dr. Zoiberg wrote:
tech44 wrote:
Dr. Zoiberg wrote: did you check mine ?
No automation at all, just one live take from a track I'm working on: playing with the Dubstation is fun :-)
You shouldn't think of it as the ususal delay, it's not what it's made for. You have to assign a few knobs and play with them!

Also consider that the sound depends on what you feed into the delay, and Mr Hawtin was definitely using a different kind of sound as source in that sample. I could try with something else... maybe :wink:

EDIT: Toufas, the sample is off-line :?
Yeah..I bought it when it first came out...its awesome.

Jokodax

Post by Jokodax » Thu May 11, 2006 7:29 pm

toufas try to sync 2 tracks in traktor dj studio 2 or 2.5 version (not 3 or higher)
then press at the same time b+n or b+m
the key assignments must be the defaults.
i dont know if u r searching for this but it's something similar.

Justin Kayes

Post by Justin Kayes » Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 am

Toufas, can you put the sample back up? I think I figured out exactly how Richie does it, but now I don't have the sample to compare it with.

Anyway, here's how I think it works:
- Use the PSP42
- At least assign knobs or sliders on your midi controller to the "manual" knob (in Ableton it's called "manVCO") and the Feedback knob.
- Set the output mix to 100% wet
- Set the delay to around 1500 ms (doesn't come that close)
- Make sure the delayX2 button is not pressed (when pressed the sound seems filtered, but could be a flaw in my system)
- Set the feedback to 0

Now play the loop you want to use the effect on and turn the manual knob. That's it.
Play with the feedback amount to get a bit different fx.
Use a combination of small delay times (between 0 and about 50 Ms) and the manual knob to get that crunchy metallic sound.

If you don't have a midi controller, just use to mouse to fiddle with the manual knob and leave the feedback at one setting.

After that, forget all this and try to come up with a signature effect of your own.

Justin
You have no chance to survive make your time

PacoMerh

hm

Post by PacoMerh » Thu May 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Toufas, if you dont know how to do this effect,
maybe you should go back to basic principals,
how to do pitch shifting, how to use delays, how to synch,
etc...

you need to experiment more with programs, you cant go asking
around for every effect that you cant do. IMagine.
nothing else.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu May 18, 2006 8:13 pm

I experimented a bit with this the other day I was bored and you can use Live to do something that sounds better (imo) since it will be locked to time and not drift slightly like the example, it sounded out of time, which sounds uncool, like hearing a drummer that can't quite keep time.

Bring in a song you have warped allready so it's in time, duplicate it on another track so you have 2 tracks with the same clip, stick a Live delay on #2, click [3] on the delay and set it to quite a long feedback, mess a bit with the damping on the delay so the bass freq. tapers off.

Now assign a knob to the delay on track 2, and to the transpose fader and volume fader.

Start both tracks at the same time (Important), track 2s volume all down or you get flanging, now when you want the effect, start transposing the track down and bring up the volume and delay so it picks up the track as you transpose it down, you'l be juggling 3 knobs but it's not that hard, since Live beatmatches it will stay locked in time while transposing down.

Or you can transpose it up 12 semitones and set the delay loud while having the volume down to set it up, then real quick yank the volume up and accentuate parts of the track with a high pitched squeel here and there that the delay will pick up, it will be in the right key since you tuned it up 12 semitones, lots of options so play around.

Let the dub commence :twisted:

tech44

Re: hm

Post by tech44 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:25 pm

PacoMerh wrote:Toufas, if you dont know how to do this effect,
maybe you should go back to basic principals,
how to do pitch shifting, how to use delays, how to synch,
etc...

you need to experiment more with programs, you cant go asking
around for every effect that you cant do. IMagine.
Please, before you make the assumption that you can easily create this effect, try for yourself and then display the plug you used and the settings. Alot of talk but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Hawtin definitely uses the PSP42

here's a picture I took on 14/08/06

I think he used Live on the main mix or on a send from the mixer

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:12 am

Hawtin's always been a big user of Logic too, and I have read him saying he likes the tape delay plugin in Logic, so there's a good chance he's using it here.
Professional Shark Jumper.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:26 am

there´s a plugin called Pitchscraper thats mac only i beleive. no idea where to find it since its rather old.

i remember that jackdark on the Happy Little Hellhole forums ressurected it and ported it to pc once, but i cant find it anymore.
dang.

correction: i found it backupped on my hd. afaik its free (there was some discussion about it at the hellhole forums some time ago though) so im guessing its free to distribute aswell, since it was available for all registered users anyways.

7G

Post by 7G » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:07 am

friend_kami wrote:so im guessing its free to distribute aswell, since it was available for all registered users anyways.
Can you please post it?Would be awesome.....

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 am

There's a preset in the Live 6 beta that does this with the graindelay :wink: